Clicking pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dotty

Can someone advise me on why my pedals click on rotation only? I have a 10 month old Giant Thrive Liv, and there is no play in the pedals at all! The bearings are completely enclosed so assume it can't be that!
Dotty

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've had that before and it turned out one pedal was loose. Just remember the thread is reversed on the non drive side crank.

You'll need a 15mm open ended spanner.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As @Cycleops says also worth taking both pedals off and putting a dab of grease on the threads before re fitting
I'd clean the threads of both pedal axle and crank hole while they're off, too. I think I've been able to feel grit getting crunched between pedal and crank before now, once some grease has been washed out by muddy water splashes. It's a fairly easy possible problem to rule out before you start on fiddlier tasks like replacing pedal bearings... but you can try spinning the pedals while they're off and see if you can still feel any grittiness or clicking, which then must be in the pedal.

sure its not catching something on way round ? front mech ? or the end of the cable ?
I've had the crank flick a label that was peeling off a front mech before. The crank pinging the ends of hastily-tied shoelaces not properly tucked in are another favourite.

Top Bottom