Clicking - thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
My bike has developed an annoying click.

99% certain it's drivetrain related and most likely chainring, crankarms or pedals.

each pedal stroke, around the 12 o'clock on the pedal stroke there's a noticeable creak/click.

It's sounds like the chainring bolts aren't tight. But they are. Checked them last week. Then took apart the whole drivetrain. Cleaned the sprockets, chain, chainring, chainpusher.

Reassembled it all and gave it a test ride. Click was gone. But immediately on my commute, it's back.

I did wonder maybe it's not the drivetrain. Maybe it's the way I pedal causing the bike to flex in a certain way at that part of the pedal stroke and the noise is actually coming from a hinge.

I'm thinking the only other thing to check is the BB.

Have I missed anything obvious? It's just very annoying.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Yes, BB should be checked. I had to chase a click recently. Took me days of try-something, check-the-next day's ride and so on. Turned out that the bolt through my suspension spring was dry and a dob of grease smeared along it solved the problem immediately! Yes, I was convinced it was the drive-train too.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Have you checked the front derailleur cable is not hitting the crank arm?

On a 2-speed Brompton? :whistle: Pretty exotic if this was the solution as there is no front derailleur. :angel:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Yeah - doesn't matter which gear I'm in or speed i'm travelling. It's always on the same part of the pedal stroke.

I forgot to mention - also happens when I'm out the saddle pedaling, so I've ruled that out.

In the absence of a front mech, that does indeed sound like the BB needs replacing

berlinonaut

Veteran
Then took apart the whole drivetrain. Cleaned the sprockets, chain, chainring, chainpusher.(...)
I'm thinking the only other thing to check is the BB.
Have I missed anything obvious? It's just very annoying.
In case you did not remove the cranks: A somewhat loose crank could also be the issue.

Top Bottom