Clicking....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoski

Veteran
I have a mysterious clicking when riding my fixed gear. It happens once per pedal revolution but I can't quite make out where it comes from. Occasionally it doesn't (usually after some fettling action) - this morning is a case in point (I changed rear cog). The first 10 miles it was quiet as anything, but then it started and continued clicking away for the remaining 8 miles.

I've tightened the crank bolts, saddle and the stem/handlebar etc. so I'm pretty sure it's not those. I don't have stack bolts, so it can't be that. I know my chainring is a bit out as my chain tensions varies slightly more than I'd like, but presumably it would click all the time regardless if it was that. I wouldn't mind, except it's loud enough to be both irritating and slightly embarrassing... Any ideas?

Have a look on here, the solutions probably in here somewhere

http://www.lfgss.com/thread23547.html

mangid

Guru
I have a mysterious clicking when riding my fixed gear. It happens once per pedal revolution but I can't quite make out where it comes from. Occasionally it doesn't (usually after some fettling action) - this morning is a case in point (I changed rear cog). The first 10 miles it was quiet as anything, but then it started and continued clicking away for the remaining 8 miles.

I've tightened the crank bolts, saddle and the stem/handlebar etc. so I'm pretty sure it's not those. I don't have stack bolts, so it can't be that. I know my chainring is a bit out as my chain tensions varies slightly more than I'd like, but presumably it would click all the time regardless if it was that. I wouldn't mind, except it's loud enough to be both irritating and slightly embarrassing... Any ideas?

My chain tends to start clicking when worn, for me it happens on the link with the bolt, which wears slightly quicker than the pins.

The "trick" as you have already mentioned is the rhythm

If it occurs each time the pedal is in a certain place then you can eliminate the chain and rear sprocket
If it occurs each time the rear sprocket is in a certain place then you can eliminate the chain ring end and the chain
If it occurs at the same point of the chain's journey then you can eliminate sprockets and chain ring.

Not entirely foolproof but a good way of honing down the possibilities

OP
OP
hoski

hoski

Veteran
Found the culprit - after tightening and lubing the pedals, the sounds seems to have disappeared.

On another note, a fortnight ago my bottom bracket suddenly developed a lot of play mid-ride (enough for the right crank to hit the chainstay). I took it apart and found that the previous owner/someone had put the bearing races in the wrong way round... It had been fine for the previous year and a bit of me riding it. Luckily nothing has been damaged and it has been running smoothly with no play since. But still, I guess it's worth giving a secondhand bike a proper strip and regrease when you get it.

Be warned, the clicking noise hasn't gone for long. This is an old problem with fixed-gear bicycles and will reccur. There is no repair that will work.

The whole bike is pretty-much useless and there is no way you can repair it.

Sadly, because of new legislation, you cannot dispose of broken (and thus dangerous) fixed-gear bicycles in the usual way.

However, for a small fee I am prepared to dispose of it for you if you can get it to anywhere between junctions 13 and 16 of the M4.

I write this on the basis that it might be about my size (51cm frame) and made using only the best components.

If it is not my size and is made using only ordinary components, I think your fix will probably be OK.

I hope this has helped, but fear it may not have.

Top Bottom