Clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plamen

I got this second hand road bike a month ago, everything was fine until I went on a 15 mile ride - somewhere around the tenth mile I started to experience a clicking sensation as I was pedalling. I didn't do anything about it as I thought it wasn't too serious but three days afterwards the chain broke. I just got a new chain fitted in, the clicking is still there. What do you think could be the issue, perhaps worn out cassette?

Cheers

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I'd check the route that the chain runs along to see if it's rubbing or catching on anything and go from there. It could just be coincidence but the two are quite possibly related.

Tojo

Über Member
I got this second hand road bike a month ago, everything was fine until I went on a 15 mile ride - somewhere around the tenth mile I started to experience a clicking sensation as I was pedalling. I didn't do anything about it as I thought it wasn't too serious but three days afterwards the chain broke. I just got a new chain fitted in, the clicking is still there. What do you think could be the issue, perhaps worn out cassette?

Cheers

Is it making the clicking noise whatever gear your in, if so it maybe a worn out free-hub body.....:scratch:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Could also be the pedals.......i had a clicking sound on a brand new bike, checked every nut, bolt, retainer, cable everything....then took off pedals, added a dab of grease to the spindle, refitted and low and behold, no more clicking

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Àre you sure the noise is coming from there? I had a clicking that was doing my head in, which I thought was pedal related as it stopped when I stopped pedalling. After much frustration, compounded by the clicking being sporadic, I realised :blush: it was the front fork/headset.

zacklaws

Guru
Press Fit Bottom Bracket? Mine has developed a sometimes rythmitic and some times an unrythmitic clicking, only done about 800 miles on it, stripped it down twice and regreased but it still does it. Could even be your saddle which I have had before and took ages to work it out, try standing as you pedal and see if it goes away. Could even be your bars where they connect to the stem, try pedaling no handed and see if it goes away, Could even be the cable from the front mech catching your leg or shoe. Even a stone in the tyre, or a loose spoke just flexing, or even a pedal. Start removing bits of your bike, bit at a time till you find it, hopefully you will before your just left stood on a pair of pedals.

Clicking sounds can be frustrating sometimes and take a while to find

As you can see from the replies it can be a multitude of things. Best approach as has been suggested is a process of elimination starting with the easy stuff (greasing pedal threads, bolts etc) and moving on to the complicated ( and potentially expensive) things.

OP
OP
P

plamen

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

The 'clicking' isn't really a noise, but a sensation in my feet as I pedal, which is why I assumed it was chain/cassette/pedal related. It does happen on every gear as well, so could be a worn out free hub as Tojo said, but I will also try the pedals and the other options you've suggested before heading to the repair shop.

zacklaws

Guru
If its a sensation then it could be a loose bearing in a pedal, try moving your pedals about in your hand to see if there is any play in it, if not try holding both cranks and rocking them sideways to see if there is any play in them too.

Top Bottom