Climbing abilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tizwaldo

I am fairly new to cycling. I read somewhere that the weight of the rider makes little difference on the flat, but that on hills weight makes a big difference.

One of my cycling buddies, who weighs about 25lbs more than me, is about the same speed as me on the flat. In fact, I may be a bit quicker. This suggests that I put out a slightly higher wattage than he does.

On hills, it's a different story. He leaves me for dead. How can this be, when he weighs so much more than me? I assumed that, if two riders put out about the same wattage, the lighter rider would be better on hills.

CXRAndy

Guru
He is most likely sandbagging on the flats

Its obvious he is stronger than you, he has a higher Watts per kilo.

There is a mental element to climbing hills at threshold.

You say you're new to cycling. It could be be that you haven't got enough miles yet. How far can you cycle comfortably 10,20,50,100 miles?

Slick

Guru
Pretty simple really, although it is unusual for you to be better on the flat. The guy I ride with is more than capable of leaving me on the climbs but he's just as capable on the flat and it's because he's fitter and stronger but if anyone asks, I'll deny ever admitting it. :laugh:

davidphilips

Veteran
Chances are that he has cycled up more hills that you have, Best way to get better/faster at cycling uphills is to start and cycle up hills faster.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is a limit, short hills, sub 1 mins a big heavy rider could match a lighter rider. But long hills a lighter rider will generally out perform a heavier rider, with superior W/kg. Assuming equal fitness

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Aerodynamics play a far greater role on the flat (higher speed) than up hills. You may be more aerodynamic....

Shreds

Technique and experience are essential in climbing faster.

Change down early, maintain cadence up hill, “just twiddle” it comes with practice.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm heavier than nearly all my cycling buddies, by quite a chunk in some cases! Even though they are all fit, experienced regular cyclists I still blow them away on the climbs when I open the taps, whether on long or short climbs.
Not quite sure why this is, on paper I probably shouldn't be such a capable climber. I don't train, I don't worry about my weight or my bikes weight and I don't wear lightweight or aero clothing.
IMO it is likely more to do with mental conditioning and an underlying natural strength. I grew up in a hilly area so don't really see hills as hills, just part of the rides go up and other parts go down, it's all just the road really......

Gibbo9

Veteran
I really dislike going uphill and living in Taiwan there are plenty of brutal ones to choose from. Agree with some of the comments on here that it's almost as much a mental thing as physical condition (though this helps) I'm so stubborn and just hate to quit at anything so tend to just grind out the leg killers. You know you are working when you can hear your heart pounding in your ears, HR peaked at 164 this morning on one of the hills out here.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm heavier than nearly all my cycling buddies, by quite a chunk in some cases! Even though they are all fit, experienced regular cyclists I still blow them away on the climbs when I open the taps, whether on long or short climbs.
Not quite sure why this is, on paper I probably shouldn't be such a capable climber. I don't train, I don't worry about my weight or my bikes weight and I don't wear lightweight or aero clothing.
IMO it is likely more to do with mental conditioning and an underlying natural strength. I grew up in a hilly area so don't really see hills as hills, just part of the rides go up and other parts go down, it's all just the road really......
Oi...less of the "blow them away on the climbs " thank you!!

Actually you make a very valid point. You can be fit and light but hill climbing always hurts and being able to resist the urge to slow down is a big component of being a good hill climber

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Technique and experience are essential in climbing faster.

Change down early, maintain cadence up hill, “just twiddle” it comes with practice.
This is important.
One of my big tips is not wrestling the bike up the hill wasting excess energy (blood flow and O2) but rather relax into the climb, sit back on the saddle, relax the arms and upper body and as you suggest find your cadence and dig-in!

I was recently complimented on my climbing ability, which for an 95kg rider with a stent was surprising. It's not that am fast, but that I'm consistent regardless of hill size, type, or hours in the saddle. I can only think that's due to years of practice and good technique!

Top Bottom