Climbing and Cadence...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moo

How accurate are the speed/gear/cadence calculations? The reversed figures suggest I'm doing 70-130rpm on my commute using 39x13 (down), 39x14 (flat), 39x15 (up) and 39x16/17 (wind, knackered).

Damn @Nigelnaturist and his stats. Looks like I'm buying a cadence sensor for the Garmin now :smile:

I had a look at my cruising gear of 50 x17 i ride at around 21 mph , gives just over 90 rpm so spot on , down hills i spin faster as its less resistance .
My average is about 59-61" or a 38x 16-17, this what I have tried to gear the bike to be beast suited for, though on the flat with little wind I will be doing 18-19mph at about 90-95rpm, so say 18.4@90 = 68.7" or 50x19, though I am more likely to be on the 38x 14 or 15 as its a slightly better chain line. I am trying to decide if I can afford the Ultegra 12-23 it would still give a good range from 29-109" but amazing control, I still hate that gap between 17 and 19, though not as bad as it was on the 40th middle I had before.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How accurate are the speed/gear/cadence calculations? The reversed figures suggest I'm doing 70-130rpm on my commute using 39x13 (down), 39x14 (flat), 39x15 (up) and 39x16/17 (wind, knackered).

Damn @Nigelnaturist and his stats. Looks like I'm buying a cadence sensor for the Garmin now :smile:
Those kinds of calculations should be accurate because there is no guesswork involved, unlike e.g. power or calories-burned deduced from speed.

Well the figures I quote are for a 700x23c wheel setup, and they are the same as Sheldons, the averages are a little more ambiguous, for example my ride today I averaged 15.62mph @ an average rpm of 89 giving an average gear inch of 58.96" (formula (avg sp x 336)/avg cad ) so an average gear combo of 38x17 58.8"

Edit which is about as straight a chain line as you can get, then work out what you need from there.

Last edited:

dee.jay

Network Ninja
You are a stat machine!

I'm grateful to get up any hills regardless of cadence. I'm overweight so any hill I can go all the way up without walking is a real accomplishment - though during my commutes I've only had to do it once touch wood.

Yeah I'm not the fastest but my average is slowly but surely increasing. Gimmie a few months when I've lost a few stone then maybe I'll think about cadences and what not - as I suppose I won't be the most efficient rider out there....

moo

climb1.png

I did this climb in 34x24. The calculations suggest a cadence of ~88, but it certainly didn't feel that quick. I was out of the saddle, trying to zone out and control my breathing. Maybe Strava is over-estimating my speed.

I like to try to keep a steady cadence, using the gears to adjust. However, on steep hills it may not be possible to keep your cadence up. On long hills, I will stand every now and then to change which muscles are taking the grind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

bloodlett

i use cadance and heart rate to train no matter what gear i am in my cadance is 80+ and I keep my %hrm around 60 - 65 % although my average speed is slow 12 - 13 mph as i get more fit my speed will increase and my muscle memory will retain 80+ cadance I am not ready for hill training yet but my plan is to keep down shifting to maintain a 80 cadance as I climb at first I suspect I will only make it 30 feet up the hill or here in florida the bridge lol we have very few hills here but the more I do these drills I will climb to the top and again my muscle memory will retain 80+ cadance I once read a article on cadance training and this is how it said to train you will be slow at first but as you train you will become faster and climb easier my ride today was 23 miles avarage speed was 12.7 mph avarage heart rate was 62% of max and I am 54 this is my 9th ride on my new bike last time i rode the year was 1979 I know this is a long post but bottom line is cadance important IMHO yes if your body likes 65 - 70 rpm train at that rate my body liked 82 - 86 rpm

sreten

Hi all,

I keep seeing blogs, articles, posts, etc. that basically say that while climbing you should try to maintain a cadence of 90 - what I never see is an explanation of why 90 is such a significant number for cadence while climbing.

I'm still way out of shape, I spend most of my time in the 70-80 range of cadence on roads that are for the most part flat (slight rolls, maybe 5 feet up/down on a very low grade), while climbing I spend most of my time in the 60-80 range.

I don't really care on one level that I don't go 90 on climbs right now, I'm just not at that point physically where I can do that (heck, I'm still using flat pedals at this point - not quite ready for clipless yet until I get a different bike); what I'm more curious about is why it's important to strive for that number.

Hi,

There is no point striving for that number if your only doing 70-80 on the flat. It is worth
looking at when your doing around 100+ on the flat, but to do that you have to be fit,
and be interested in going as fast as possible, like racers obviously do.
The best time trialers do 110 -120 on average on a relatively flat course,
and with big gears that most of us can only dream about going that fast.

If your interested in just getting fit, ignore it and do whatever feels comfortable.

However to try and answer your question, if your really fast on the flat,
having trained to push high cadences on the flat, you aren't going
going to be able to mash up hills at low cadence, you have to spin.

I'd say that is where it comes from, all the top racers spin, and even,
no especially, in my advanced years, because I can't mash like
I did in my youth, spinning is the best way to make (slow) progress.
Not like I'll ever go up any real hill at 90 rpm ever ... I'm too slow ...

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom