Climbing steep slopes on a tadpole trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there any special technique to climbing STEEP slopes on a tadpole?

Hit 2 slopes today that I struggled with - one was loose gravel so I accept that I have to get off and drag the trike up. Other was tarmac with mud. Managed to get up it on the second attempt but only by having a run up at ti so I could just reach the handrails, then pedal and pull myself up. Without pulling myself up the rear wheel just spun.

I guess zig-zagging up could work, if there is enough width. Should I use a higher gear and get the leg muscles really pushing?

Low gear, traction, and what tyres are you using?

Slippery slopes like this are an issue for most cycles, but usually with patience are easily overcome.

Firstly you need reasonable grip, but almost any treaded tyre will manage, only slicks or tyres like the Kojak/ Durano should have issues.

Then lowest gear possible and at a low cadence just "winch your way up" light touch and take your time.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had terrible issues with smooth, wet tarmac with Kojaks on my Kettwiesel, it's single wheel drive so no favours there! On Big Apples the same hills are no issue at all. Tyres! But loose surfaces are really a big problem, if steep.

The answer comes in three part.

1:- More rubber on the road/track. Lower the pressure in your back tyre to the minimum possible, around 30-40 psi is best.
2:- More weight on the back wheel. I find that 4 liters of drink carried on your back rack helps to stop the back wheel slipping.
3:- Lower the torque on the back wheel. You need the minimum amount of power going through the back tyre, so lowest gear and very smoothly winch up. This is where the silly ultra-low gears come in, I can climb slippy slopes better in a 10" gear better than I can in a 15" gear.

markg0vbr

Über Member
and there is the wheelchair push, when all else fails use your hands on the front wheels like a wheel chair and don't have mudguards on^_^
or bring along a minion on a mountain bike to get off there bike and push you up the hill:thumbsup: thanks son:angel: extra chocolate digestive for you tonight.

A wheelchair push doesn't work for me.

I always just end up in the left hedge for some strange reason ......... :whistle:

markg0vbr

Über Member
A wheelchair push doesn't work for me.

I always just end up in the left hedge for some strange reason ......... :whistle:

this is where the turn the trike around and go up backwards using you feet Fred Flintstone stile works; unless you insist on pulling a grate big trailer:whistle:

if you used all the good bits off tigerbiten, byegad and me we could almost build a Sun Bronzed Greek God.:blink: or a monster to rival the one Frankenstein cobbled together.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Hmm...I think gearing might be the issue then - perhaps a silly small ring. Don't want to run low pressure as the Wyedale end of Monsal Trail for instance has some real potholes that could be rim benders, and don't want off-road tyres either since I'm commuting on the trike too

Thinking about it, perhaps less weight in the seat just in front of the rear wheel would help :whistle:

Best start running and eating celery again

On an ICE trike if you do a lot of off road tracks then it's possible to move the seat back with the FB bracket.
Pull the front boom in a few inches and the back boom out the same, this will move the CofG backwards and put more weight on the back wheel.
You cannot do this with the hardshell seat in its most recilned mode as the back boom is already pulled out to the maximum to cope with the seat angle.

Top Bottom