Climbing style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I watched a video of Stage 5 of the Tour of California last night (You Tube Global Cycling) a young Colombian, whose name I've forgotten won the hilly stage but Wiggins maintained his overall lead. The difference ins style between the Colombian and Wiggins was noticeable and the commentator pointed out that one style is to jump and then settle down and the other is to maintain a steady but high speed throughout. Wiggins cadence and speed was amazing and he rarely got out of the saddle but and left it to others to chase down any break away. The commentator suggested that this might be a weakness in Wiggins but I disagree as he was going for the GC and the other guy the stage win.
What do others think? and while I don't want to kick a hornets nest is this the difference between Brad and Froome?

MikeG

Guru

KneesUp

Guru
I seem to recall reading (perhaps in Wiggins' book?) that he is much better at pumping out a steady amount of watts over a long period than bursts. I'd say that not being able to chase down attackers could be a weakness although I suppose in theory if he maintains the same speed as the 'flighty' rider on average it will be fine. In practice it doesn't always work that way, which is why team mates like Porte are so useful :smile:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Attacking a peleton is generally inneficient :bicycle: and painful.

He will have been doing everything he can to muster power just to get away up the road, and then if he couldnt maintain constant power after he got away which is most efficient, standing and punching again, slowing down, standing punching slowing down.

It also comes down to who has a more sustainable power (wiggo) against who has higher max or goes deeper into the red but cant sustain it (attacker)

Youve got to imagine the effort it takes to simply get away and then to ride at the chasers pace alone. He'll have been looking for power any way he could.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Shame a road race isn't decided by just "the science"...
Do you wish it was Rob, surely not?
In a way the Sky approach IS a scientific approach that can be boring so it is a good thing that there are riders out there prepared to go up against them.
If someone could ride, say, the entire TdF on the flat, up hill and down hill regardless of wind and weather, at one metronomic pace based on the speed of previous years would he win?

montage

God Almighty
In a way the Sky approach IS a scientific approach that can be boring so it is a good thing that there are riders out there prepared to go up against them.
If someone could ride, say, the entire TdF on the flat, up hill and down hill regardless of wind and weather, at one metronomic pace based on the speed of previous years would he win?

No, they would be dropped in the first 10 minutes of stage 1

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

I was being sarcastic.

Top Bottom