Clincher VS Tubular

Clincher or Tubular?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Vote, then post your thoughts and opinions on the matter. I've always used tubular as that's the general standard... is it time to move on?

Clincher...the latest tyre/tube combos are nearly as light as tubs but with the added convieniance of being reparpirable anywhere

JayMac

Unless your in that 1% of elite athletes where 10gram can be the difference of 10 seconds over a 100mile stage. I dont think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

If you have one more slice of toast for your breakfast. Youve just negated the few grams of savings youve made. Yes a kilo makes a difference to most bikes, but in my opinion shaving a few grams here and there makes no difference to the everyday rider

Here is a real proper quote from a website about a clincher tyre: "look fast, even when standing still". I have not found a similar quote about a tubular.

Think on.

Last edited:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Can't vote as use both. Happy with either nowadays. In the past there was a great advantage in using tubs, particularly in competition, however clincher manufacture has improved drastically to the point where a mid range folder, say the Continental 4000S is as good as a top end tub IMO.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Whilst the pros race on tubs, the train on clinchers. So unless you're racing supported, it's clinchers all the way

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Can't vote because the option is too black and white (and it is in the wrong section of the forum)

I train and race hill climbs on clinchers (I'd race hill climbs on tubs if I could afford the extra set of wheels) and race time trials on tubular tyres.

The choice between clinchers and tubs doesn't just revolve around weight.

Unless your in that 1% of elite athletes where 10gram can be the difference of 10 seconds over a 100mile stage. I dont think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

If you have one more slice of toast for your breakfast. Youve just negated the few grams of savings youve made. Yes a kilo makes a difference to most bikes, but in my opinion shaving a few grams here and there makes no difference to the everyday rider

Completelly neglected Crr, the ability to keep riding on a punctured tub to get back to race HQ/the pits (or until a support car hands you a wheel if you are racing at a high level). The cost of the wheels. The weight of the wheels (i.e. the difference in weight between the tyres might not be much, but the difference in weight of the actual wheel is usually more than a handful of grams). The aerodynamic benefits of having a tyre that doesn't bulb out. Many cite the ride quality of tubular tyres and cornering performance to be greater than clinchers as well...

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
This /\

Different wheels for different scenarios. Tubular tyres (and wheels obviously) have a lot of advantages in many situations.

GrasB

Veteran
Oddly I'm moving towards cheap tubs for my town bike as I can keep on riding, slowly, across town on a tub rather than having to stop & change a tube. Also on longer rides tubs are quicker to change, especially when it's dark, due to not needing to work out what caused the puncture in the tyre. The downside is tubs do take longer to repair, most tubs are repairable with some patience.

VamP

Banned
Oddly I'm moving towards cheap tubs for my town bike as I can keep on riding, slowly, across town on a tub rather than having to stop & change a tube. Also on longer rides tubs are quicker to change, especially when it's dark, due to not needing to work out what caused the puncture in the tyre. The downside is tubs do take longer to repair, most tubs are repairable with some patience.

TUFO tubs would be particularly suitable for this purpose, as you can almost always fix them with a bit of sealant. Or even pre-emptively put some in.

mattobrien

Guru
I ride on clinchers as I don't race (yet) and need to be able to carry out a repair at the roadside, possibly a long way from home. If I phone Mrs O to come and pick me up following a puncture the answer, after she stopped laughing, would be a no. Even if she did agree to get me, the chances of her actually finding me, despite being told how to get to me would be slim.

All that said I wouldn't rule out tubs at some stage in the future. Although my new bike has hot tubeless compatible rims on it, so there is a chance I may give that a oh first.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Used to race on tubs - still have a nice set of early Carbon HED Jets !!

General everyday stuff, then it has to be clinchers for convenience. Pop in some latex tubes for the 'whoosh' noise and you are laughing !

Top Bottom