Clip on Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I use SKS clip ons . Yes you will be able to swap between bikes but you will probably need to adjust the fit to each bike . Which will requires in doing the nuts and bolts on those were as my SKS ones it just slides but for that price they look worth a gamble . Any mudguard is better than none when it's comes to keeping the bike and yourself cleaner

si_c

Guru
I've used the SKS mudguards which these copy in the past, they are "OK", as mentioned above they are good if you want to get a set of mudguards you can quickly put on or remove as conditions change, but they are not particularly good when trying to swap between bikes as they'll need constant adjustment.

They are also not brilliant mudguards, they stop you getting a wet arse, and you'll reduce the spray from the front tyre a bit, but they don't have long mudflaps which are what keep your feet really dry and they basically funnel all the water from your rear wheel onto the bottom bracket, front derailleur, chain and worse, your feet. Consequently they don't serve the function of a good set of mudguards which is to reduce component wear and keep your feet dry.

They are best at satisfying the requirement that clubs have during winter of mudguards on clubruns to stop the rider behind you getting sprayed in the face.

Personally I prefer to have a bike I use in inclement weather which has a set of mudguards fitted all year round, and they are full length (go all the way around the rear wheel) with long mudflaps which reach almost to the floor.

T4tomo

Guru
Are they any good and can I interchange them to more than one bike?
If you have more than one bike, you'd be better of getting proper "screwed in" mudguards on one of them. If neither / any frame has mudguard fittings have a word with your purchasing department.

Even the best clip-ons do take a bit of fettling to get set properly and may take a reasonable amount of adjusting between bikes. Proper "screwed in" ones are ironically quicker to attach and remove than clip on ones, as you don't have the buggering around to get them sat in the right place with the right clearance.

if you don't have a frame with 'guard mounts, then yes those or probably worth a shot.

If you can get full mudguards on a bike - do so. Much better coverage and less rattles.

I've been on my full mudguard bike all of last year. It's just as fast with them as without.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've used the SKS mudguards which these copy in the past, they are "OK", as mentioned above they are good if you want to get a set of mudguards you can quickly put on or remove as conditions change, but they are not particularly good when trying to swap between bikes as they'll need constant adjustment.

They are also not brilliant mudguards, they stop you getting a wet arse, and you'll reduce the spray from the front tyre a bit, but they don't have long mudflaps which are what keep your feet really dry and they basically funnel all the water from your rear wheel onto the bottom bracket, front derailleur, chain and worse, your feet. Consequently they don't serve the function of a good set of mudguards which is to reduce component wear and keep your feet dry.

They are best at satisfying the requirement that clubs have during winter of mudguards on clubruns to stop the rider behind you getting sprayed in the face.

Personally I prefer to have a bike I use in inclement weather which has a set of mudguards fitted all year round, and they are full length (go all the way around the rear wheel) with long mudflaps which reach almost to the floor.
My experience of similar mudguards is they do little to stop spray in the face. I did moan at a good friend about this a few weeks ago, he went out and bought some very good flaps to bolt on to his guards. Not all clubs though. :okay:

I'd agree with your overall summing up. Everything will quickly become slack and won't tighten properly especially with moving from one bike to another. A cheap solution and at this price it might be wise to buy a set for each bike though I wouldn't buy these full stop.

vickster

Legendary Member
What bikes? Do they take fixed full length guards?

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who responded. The bikes are Bianchi Impulso and BMC Team Machine. I already have a Bianchi Allroad that I have fitted with full mudguards and a pannier rack, so I can always use that but I was thinking other types of non permanent mudguards for a more streamlined, without the pannier rack, look

si_c

Guru
Thanks to everyone who responded. The bikes are Bianchi Impulso and BMC Team Machine. I already have a Bianchi Allroad that I have fitted with full mudguards and a pannier rack, so I can always use that but I was thinking other types of non permanent mudguards for a more streamlined, without the pannier rack, look
Nice, personally I'd keep the full mudguard setup, if you have a workstand then it's actually relatively easy to swap out a pannier rack and mudguards, it normally takes me about 10-15 minutes. Chances are you'd spend longer than that fiddling with the stays and getting a quick release mudguard just to fit right around the wheel.

There are mudguards you can attach to your seatpost but the seatpost needs to be round. If it's of a weird aero shape, you'll struggle to fit it and the mudguard will flap about too much.

Top Bottom