Clipless moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobyM

I had my first clipless moment today, despite being careful to unclip.

I was waiting behind a long queue of traffic, with my left foot unclipped and my right foot still attached to the pedal, without holding the handlebars. Unfortunately, the handlebar swung round, and the front wheel started moving towards the curb causing the bike to lean right and over I fell, much to the amusement of the cyclists behind me.

Am I the only one who only unclips one foot?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Am I the only one who only unclips one foot?

Nope, I do it too, but I hold onto the handlebars so the wheel doesn't move!

I had a cracker the other day there though. I had been waiting one footed at some lights and when they changed and I started to move, the foot which was clipped in unclipped as I pushed down on it, causing me to fall right onto the cross bar and then topple over. With traffic behind me.
Luckily I happen to be left footed, so when that unclipped I fell towards the kerb.

I still have bruises in strange places from that!

Note to self: tighten the Pedal!

RAYMOND

Surely you only need to unclip 1 foot, just keep your hands on the handlebars.
The only reason you need to unclip both are to get off the bike.

mattsr

First time out with clipless pedals, I made the beginner's error of stopping before I had unclipped, and not having yet got the knack of unclipping quickly, there followed a gentle topple over onto the kerb, with feet still firmly attached to pedals, much to the amusement of assorted by-standers. :wacko:

Robeh

fell of only once and had school kids either side of the road cracking up,i got up of the deck and did a bow,much to the amusement of the kids:whistle:

sgtjiggy

Was on a great ride Sunday, no traffic, riding by corn fields and gorgeous farm houses while listing to some old Metallica tunes (I was in my element, by myself enjoying the perfect ride). THEN out of nowhere a large, very angry mixed breed dog nearly took a bite out of my left ankle! I was moving along at about 20 mph so this dog was hauling a$$! I started peddling my a$$ off and my left foot came unclipped from the pedal. So I was more or less "half unclipped" for about 300 feet before the hairy beast gave up and let me alone! after my heart rate dropped to a semi normal level I was finally able to recoup and continue my ride. Lol. Does half unclipped count?!

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I've had a few clipless moments (I blame the OH for getting me to use them too soon after having not ridden a bike for over ten years!). I remember one occasion when I was pretty much standing still, about to get off for ice cream, but somehow managed to fall, quite slowly, on to my side, with one foot still clipped in. Hilarious! The crowd thought so too :B)
Another one happened when I unclipped my foot but couldn't find the ground...damn camber!

Top Bottom