Clipless pain behind the knee tendon/ligament

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BatmanOnABike

BatmanOnABike

Id try putting it back. I had slight problems (perhaps similar) when cycling two bikes I thought were set up identically but I lowered the saddle on one and moved it forward by about 2.5mm and it went away. A wild stab but perhaps your foot stretch from the saddle is different (and its not fixed anyway) to your spd foot position which is fixed.
I did haha but it was waay too tiring my quads would burn out fast I may try putting it down 2-3mm instead and see what happens kinda sad though feels like I hit the sweet spot in saddle height were I have the most power.

I did haha but it was waay too tiring my quads would burn out fast I may try putting it down 2-3mm instead and see what happens kinda sad though feels like I hit the sweet spot in saddle height were I have the most power.
Worth a try good luck :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Only make 1 change at a time though. There's no point raising your saddle 5mm and moving it 5mm forward, that essentially brings you back to the same position.

Good luck :smile: If problems persist see a bike fitter/LBS yada yada.

Ningishzidda

How is it??? Some cyclists ride 20 or so miles each day on a tourer or MTB to work, ride a roadrace bike on 'evening 50s', ride a sports tourer on Audax 200s and jump on a Raleigh 20 shopper to ride an Audax 100 ????

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How is it??? Some cyclists ride 20 or so miles each day on a tourer or MTB to work, ride a roadrace bike on 'evening 50s', ride a sports tourer on Audax 200s and jump on a Raleigh 20 shopper to ride an Audax 100 ????
Do you actually know what you're trying to say or do we have to guess?

Ningishzidda

Yes basically after the issue I rode flats for about a month till all was healed I set my road bike up with the saddle height I'm most comfortable at which is when the cranks are parallel with the seat tube at the low position my foot is flat (parallel to the floor). I set the cleat position to be my natural foot angle plenty of float and after three days it started to come back same spot same symptoms only when riding clipless.

When the crank is down parallel to the seat tube as you describe, you should be able to brush the SPD with your heel. Make sure you are sitting square on the saddle and not rocked over to touch your heel on the SPD.

OP
OP
BatmanOnABike

BatmanOnABike

When the crank is down parallel to the seat tube as you describe, you should be able to brush the SPD with your heel. Make sure you are sitting square on the saddle and not rocked over to touch your heel on the SPD.
Basically I used this to set my height http://www.bikesplit.com/image/bfig1.gif

Kevin Airey

I had exactly the same issue as you, I flew to Mallorca (I live in Spain) and visited a bike fit centre and sports physio at the same time.

For me the bike fit solved 90% of the problem, I now only get the occasional cramp but no tendon issues and extending my mileage up to 120km per ride without problems. The main change was saddle height, I thought I had it set correctly but it had to go up by 2.5cm (gradually). This better leg extension stops dropping of the heel, plus I needed wedges on the cleats so the knees tracked better.

I also have a set of exercises that help, but TBH I haven't had to do them. I can send these to you if you PM me an email address....

OP
OP
BatmanOnABike

BatmanOnABike

I had exactly the same issue as you, I flew to Mallorca (I live in Spain) and visited a bike fit centre and sports physio at the same time.

For me the bike fit solved 90% of the problem, I now only get the occasional cramp but no tendon issues and extending my mileage up to 120km per ride without problems. The main change was saddle height, I thought I had it set correctly but it had to go up by 2.5cm (gradually). This better leg extension stops dropping of the heel, plus I needed wedges on the cleats so the knees tracked better.

I also have a set of exercises that help, but TBH I haven't had to do them. I can send these to you if you PM me an email address....
Interesting currently I have platforms attached with straps......... which is what a lot of fixie riders use, going to trial them and see if I can get rid of the pain they feel similar with stiff sole shoes I can examine my foot positioning too. A helpful employee at a local Evans suggested it's due to the cleat being too far back therefore using my hamstrings to rotate the cranks on the bottom stroke and causing my foot to dip. What's slightly irritating is that my left foot although never gets any pain feels slightly shorter than my right :S I think it may be an alignment issue (knee tracking possibly).

Kevin Airey

I was also told that 1 leg is shorter than the other but I can't remember which, it was a matter of a few mm's and they said at my age I shouldn't correct for it as my body has adjusted and lived with it for so long.

It sounds like exactly the same joint that is bugging you, and I can only say that mine was solved my a combination of cleat adjustment & wedges, and saddle positioning, the main culprit been the saddle too low.

I just get an occasional cramp in the same position but usually when I have been pushing a big gear too long and it goes off if I ease up a little.

Top Bottom