Clipless pedal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I have recently bought some shimano bike shoes and am thinking of getting some shimano m520 pedals..

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=936&cPath=198

The one things that concerns me is when starting off at a road junction or traffic lights. The type where i can't mess around trying to clip in. Using my toe clip current pedals i would just ride with the pedal upside down and then clip in when i had gathered some speed. I'm not sure i can do that with the 520 pedals tho.

I suppose i could go for a normal type pedal that takes clipless like the 647 but i was thinking the 520s would be better for a road bike

Any advice??

domtyler

Über Member
Unless you have to walk long distances in your cycling shoes go for road specific rather than MTB specific.

As for red lights, there is no reason why you can't clip in in time when the lights go green. Make sure you are in primary position or at the back of the queue while you are getting used to them. Don't be afraid to look down at your feet if you don't clip in straight away.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have these pedals and very good they are too.
They are double sided so have no problem what so ever clipping in.
If I need to pedal for what ever reason without clipping in, it's quite easy to do so, just pedal using the part of shoe just behind cleat,

With SPD's I always have one foot clipped in and if I miss when clipping the other foot in, it isn't a problem. I used 424's at first and m520's and A520's on the road bike. I've since upgraded to SPD-SL's on the roadie I found them and the stiff carbon soles of my road shoes weren't easy at first for clipping in, if I missed the foot would slide off the pedal. However they are much better for a longer ride.

Mortiroloboy

From a purely safety point of view, I wouldn't recommend looking down at your feet, especially in traffic, you are likely to be too distracted to notice the pedestrian stepping off the pavement to your left, or the car about to turn across your path.

Clipping in and out of Sh*mano M520's is pretty easy IIRC from my MTB days, just practice, it'll soon become second nature, really, your foot is at the end of your leg,;) and the pedal is not that far away, ;)once you have your favoured side clipped in the second one will follow.

OP
OP
D

DLB

ianrauk said:
I have these pedals and very good they are too.
They are double sided so have no problem what so ever clipping in.
If I need to pedal for what ever reason without clipping in, it's quite easy to do so, just pedal using the part of shoe just behind cleat,

Thanks for the comments. I've just ordered a pair - you convinced me they'd be a good step up from straps. I was glad to hear you can ride with these pedals without cliping in.

Incidentally i have already got the shoes and they are mountain bike ones as i like the fact you can walk in them.
Thanks again

DLB

Maz

Guru
If by chance you dont clip-in in time when the traffic sets off, you can always pedal with the middle part of your foot for a few revolutions and then clip in.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Maz said:
If by chance you dont clip-in in time when the traffic sets off, you can always pedal with the middle part of your foot for a few revolutions and then clip in.

That's good to know. I've got enough to deal with when i undoubtedly fall of because i can't unclip in time :evil:

Looking forward to them arriving next week (£17.50 from cyclexpress :evil: although they'll take a few days to arrive - £27 on wiggle ;) )

Maz

Guru
Also, have the tension set to a loose setting, when you first use them...you can see the hex-bolt adjustment thingy in the picture with the +/- thingy.

You can adjust them tighter as you get used to them.

redjedi

Über Member
When I got my M520s they came with a platform clipped to one side.

I left these on for a few months, as I thought I would need them.

They were actually more bother, as I had to keep flipping the pedals around to find the clip.

Now I use them double sided, and it's a lot easier to clip in quickly.

Top Bottom