Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
you can, quite badly, with a risk* of you trainers slipping off the pedals and hurting yourself.

*a varying level thereof, depending on the exact type of pedals.

IcySwan1

Thanks, T4tomo. I kinda thought that.

Mike

icowden

Veteran
I just bought a hybrid with flat pedals and don't have any clip shoes. If I borrowed a bike with clip pedals, would I be able to ride it with non-clip shoes?

Depends on the pedals. I have reversible ones - "clipless" on one side and flat on the other :-)

If they are pure "clipless" then they are really just a rod.

semakof

I have been using the flat pedal for long until I bought and installed a clipless pedal. It is great, and makes me pedal faster. There were days when my shoe will slip off the flat pedal but the clipless pedal solves that problem. Most importantly, one needs to be conscious of using a clipless pedal as you can easily fall.^_^^_^

Roadrat77

Got them, used them but because of the sheer volume of traffic/islands/traffic lights etc and the on offs every two minutes plus two very near misses and the fact I felt they were ruining my riding I switched back to Toeclips.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I’ve always used the mountain bike style SPD rather than SPD SL even though I’m a roadie as I prefer not to have cleats sticking out of my shoe when I do a coffee stop, plus being able to clip in either side of the pedal is a plus.

Never felt the inclination to try SLs.

I also find the Shimano mountain bike SPD specific shoes seem to be far easier to clip in than the Shimano SPD shoes, dunno why.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've ridden a 10 mile TT wearing sandels, having left my cycling shoes at home.

The fastest tourist in the west....:laugh:

Thanks for the great explanation for clipless pedals and shoes. Over the past few years I moved back to flat pedals and wanted to share the story to those wishing to make an informed decision about their choice of pedals. Some 5 years ago I cycled along the tow-path of the grand union of canals between the great City of Birmingham and the Capital City of London and wrote my story here: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com ( archived date May 2017).
Prior to that adventure I always used clip-less pedals with compatible cycling shoes. They worked well, assisted my pedal technique and were very comfortable.
Recognising a risk of falling into the canal and being clipped into pedals would be drowning I fitted double-sided pedals, using the flat side for tow-path cycling and the clip-in side for road work. By the end of the ride I had rediscovered to Joy of cycling on the flat platform and when my clip-in shoes wore out, instead of replacing the shoes I replaced the pedals- photo attached. These grip me just as firmly as clip-less and as all mountain bike users know they are great for powering up steep hills. I also follow adviced given on this forum and upgraded my cycling boots to keep warm and dry in cold wet winter weather.
So in summary, the pedal of choice has to be a personal choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom