Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BC BOOTLE

VIKING ROAD CLUB LIVERPOOL
Mine was on the LCL this year Bill,same place,girl ran out with goody bag my mate slammed on, off i came in front of the crowd aswell

Spiky Simon

Regular
My first "proper" moment (not including a few panicked wobbles at sudden stops etc) happened this weekend on a long ride in Wales. Was trying to find a tearoom for a much needed cuppa, saw one on the left and pulled over. Was concentrating on the tea, accidentally brushed up against the kerb and started to topple to the left (having already unclipped right foot in preparation for stopping, left foot still clipped in). Couldn't unclip in time so hit the deck -- got a few grazes and and split bartape, nothing too bad.

maxon

Regular
Safest Pedals

I only started cycling about five months ago on a Giant Defy 2 road bike, and after a couple of months I decided to change the basic flat pedals that came with the bike and go for clipless pedals (Look pedals) and shimano shoes.

All went well for a few weeks, and then on one Sunday morning ride my front bike wheel slipped on the edge of a pot hole, and came crashing down with me under the frame, as I couldn’t release the clipless pedals quick enough to put my leg out I landed heavily on the deck and badly damaged my wrist (sprain and damaged tendons), all of which makes me wonder if I should go back to standard flat pedals as I feel they are probably safer if the bike slips (quick leg release etc). Maybe flat pedals are not as efficient as clipless but are they safer in circumstances like these?

Does anyone have any other thoughts or advice on this, and which cycling shoes would best suit flat pedals?

Ps: - any tips on how to fall of a bike without breaking bones, can’t wait for replies to this one.

Gez73

Veteran
To be honest you were unlucky to have a front wheel slip within a few weeks of going clipless. I would recommend persevering with the clipless set-up. With enough time in the saddle as it were you will manage to unclip almost instinctively. I use Shimano SPD cleats and a fairly basic pedal. Flat pedals can be used with any shoe but you could try some sort of pedal cage if you're worried about slipping off the pedal. It does take some time and requires a new approach to timing and anticipation for clipless pedals to work but it's well worth it when you get there. I've not broken any bones myself but would suggest aiming for a soft surface such as grass or someone else to break your fall!!

Raymonda

I recall when I was a young lad watching the BMX riders having some bad crashes at the local skate park I asked them why they didn't break a bone every time and they said that they just relaxed when they knew they would fall as if you tensed your muscles they put stress on the body and you were more likely to get hurt.

The main problem as I found out last week was overcoming that instinct to put your arms out and break your fall, when in fact doing that is more likely to break a wrist or finger.

I hope that your wrist gets better soon maxon.

beachnut

interesting reading - I have pedals with the clip one side - using the clip with the shoes is good apart from falling into a hedge the other week when my mate nudged me from the right when I still had the left foot clipped in...

Quick question that hopefully someone will see!
I've owned some clip less shoes in the past, though I've misplaced them stupidly and just recently purchased a new pair.
Realistically, if I'm comfortable between 20-30 miles in trainers, will I see a massive gain now that I'm going to have that added pull with the clip less peds?

You will not see a massive gain in speed simply from switching to clipless pedals, no. But it's not just about speed.
Ah ok, gotcha. I'm just reading back through the first post. Would you say an individuals endurance could be somewhat improved through the use of clipless or has the biggest difference for you always been the comfort and ease?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ah ok, gotcha. I'm just reading back through the first post. Would you say an individuals endurance could be somewhat improved through the use of clipless or has the biggest difference for you always been the comfort and ease?

There can be a speed increase, but you can not realistically expect big gains just from slipping on the shoes and clipping in, they ALLOW you to pull up on the pedals, but only you can decide if you do or dont and it may take some time to get the most out of them.

IMO, the largest benefits are increased safety (less chance of slipping off a pedal), increased comfort and increased power going uphill where a conscious effort it made in pulling up for additional power.

Mandy jo

Regular
I have Look pedals and cleats, I find them a nightmare on my stairs as they are really slippy so have to take them off whilst going up and down them. Apart from that, I have no bother walking on them! ^_^

Top Bottom