Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Dont know if its been mentioned but make sure you fix the cleats the correct way round on the shoe. I bought some spd gear last week, no instructions so fitted the cleats wrong way round, it was hard to clip in and out even on slackest setting and first time i out i fell over twice stuck to the bike, then i came back and was all set for changing back to straps, change the cleats round and lmao, so easy on slackest setting, sligt turn of heel and feet dropped out^_^

Boon 51

Veteran
My pedals & shoes should arrive today and I have several problems that I need to ask so is it alright on this thread or should I put the thread somewhere else..

Cheers

Licramite

Über Member
seams as good a place as any.

I must admit I'm wondering if I should go for something different for my tourer, I'm thinking shimano m520 but they are really just a clip for your shoe, bugger all pedal. - but less to smack you in the shins with.
or go for one with more pedal around the clip,

Boon 51

Veteran
Ok ..First question..
Fitted cleats to shoes and pedals on bike but I'm having trouble locking shoes to pedals.. not sure on what the adjustment is when you get the pedals are they fully open or shut.. I have opened mine up but not sure on how to gauge it.

RWright

Guru
Question.. When do you click in .. what is the best position for the pedals..
That might help matters..

I normally click them in and out when the pedal is closest to the ground. Clicking in I put the cleet in when the pedal is at its highest point and sometimes it clicks in before I get the pedal down to the lowest point. Clicking out (besides emergency stops) I almost always click out when the pedal is closest to the ground. Hope that makes sense.

RWright

Guru

This may help some too.

Boon 51

Veteran
I normally click them in and out when the pedal is closest to the ground. Clicking in I put the cleet in when the pedal is at its highest point and sometimes it clicks in before I get the pedal down to the lowest point. Clicking out (besides emergency stops) I almost always click out when the pedal is closest to the ground. Hope that makes sense.

Thats makes sense I will try tomorrow afternoon after work...

Cheers.. :thumbsup:

This may help some too.

Top draw.. :thumbsup:

Boon 51

Veteran
Update from me... and its a :thumbsup: for clipless, I'm confident I can live with clipless full time now.
Question..

On my road bike I had just the plain flat pedals and I used just an old pair of trainers which were hard to walk on but great for the bike as they have hard soles..which is better for pedaling.
Now I have fitted my clipless pedals and use my Shimano 087s I feel I should higher the saddle a bit, but how do I measure the difference from the old shoes pedal height to a new pedal height (the new shoes must have thicker soles)
I cant be just trial and error..

Cheers

Licramite

Über Member
well there is a vid on clipless pedals forum.
basically stand on pedal with your heel. put the seat to that height, when you clip your foot on the pedal it will give the right bend in the knee.

RWright

Guru
I don't know if there is any set formula besides trial and error. I have the same shoes you mentioned and had to raise the saddle. I pretty much did what Licramite said to start with to get close then made very small adjustments until I was satisified. I had to be careful because I have a bad knee. I got it worked out without having any major issues or pain with my knee. Take an allen key with you and go for a "test ride". :smile:

You can also find a pro bike fitter and let them put your bike on a trainer and handle it for you.

Boon 51

Veteran
OK.. I'm getting there with the seat adjustment ...I've raised the seat 4 times so far and another one or two more rises should do it, as I will be able to feel when my position is the same as before.
So thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Boon 51

Veteran
Just remembered another question.

I have a pair of Sidi pro 5 road shoes .. with SPD SL cleats fitted but can you fit the other SPD cleats to the same shoe do you know.
Will both type of cleats fit the same shoe?

Top Bottom