Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jhey

I got myself my first SPD setup today, came in the post, fitted it all, was out cycling and my ankle was hurting, so decided to get off and adjust, then I lost a cleat bolt :\ I'm useless lol, carried on tho, only issue I find is my feet seem to burn, going to try some padded inner-soles.

I got myself Shimano M530 SPD Trail MTB Pedals & Shimano M064 MTB Shoes.

iggibizzle

All this pedal talk is twisting my mind. I've been given a pair of ritchey mtb pedals that are spd fitment. They are going on my road bike and got my eye on shimano shoes with cleats. Do they fit ritchey pedals ok?

billymcq2

Does anyone have an issue with SPD-SL pedals clicking/ticking as they go round?

I had a click click click click noise that I couldn't locate, or find the cause of when the bike was up on the rack, it was driving me mental the last few rides. Only coming from the right hand side. Tried a few things out and eventually got round to tightening the little adjusting screw in the pedal to make it harder to unclip. (it was at the loosest setting)

Went out on a ride last night, and it's gone!

Half way round, it started on the left hand side :laugh: at least I know whats causing it now.

Anyone else had this?

Dave 123

Legendary Member

I had a click click click click noise that I couldn't locate, or find the cause of when the bike was up on the rack, it was driving me mental the last few rides. Only coming from the right hand side. Tried a few things out and eventually got round to tightening the little adjusting screw in the pedal to make it harder to unclip. (it was at the loosest setting)

Half way round, it started on the left hand side :laugh: at least I know whats causing it now.

Anyone else had this?

Interesting. I have it on the left. I was going to have them stripped down, but I'll try that tonight.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Anyone else had this?

Didn't work.....

huwsparky

Über Member
I bought my bike last week and made sure I had shoes and cleats sorted for my first ride. I think this possibly helps as I've not had any moments as it's all I've known I suppose.

Can be a bit fiddly clipping in though at times but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

lesley_x

Über Member
How quickly do spd cleats wear out? Is there anyway to tell before actual problems clipping in and out occur? I am walking a lot in my shoes I have noticed whether that be round shops, dismounting on the canal... I am worried they will wear prematurely and I'll have an off one day.

My shoes are wearing down (not touring type) quite rapidly. I love the type of shoe I'm wearing I find them comfier than touring shoes but may have to switch or invest in both.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How quickly do spd cleats wear out? Is there anyway to tell before actual problems clipping in and out occur? I am walking a lot in my shoes I have noticed whether that be round shops, dismounting on the canal... I am worried they will wear prematurely and I'll have an off one day.

My shoes are wearing down (not touring type) quite rapidly. I love the type of shoe I'm wearing I find them comfier than touring shoes but may have to switch or invest in both.

If you mean MTB SPD metal cleats. Then the cleats will outlast your shoes. But when they do wear out, you notice that you unclip unintentionally. The cleats will last years.
If you mean SPD-L road style cleats, then not very long. A few months, dependent on how far you walk in them and put your foot down when unclipping.

lesley_x

Über Member
If you mean MTB SPD metal cleats. Then the cleats will outlast your shoes.
If you mean SPD-L road style cleats, then not very long. A few months, dependent on how far you walk in them and put your foot down when unclipping.

I mean the MTB SPD type. I feel like I'm quite hard on the cleats and shoes. I often have to walk over rocky, gravelly areas and I can hear the rocks crunching against the metal. But you're prob right, will probably be replacing shoes at this rate before cleats! One summer in them and they look very tatty!

Gez73

Veteran
I used to near SPD cleats on a road shoe and worried about shearing the cleat bolts and not being able to ride in hard soled shoes with no cleats. So I opted for recessed cleats with touring/mbt style shoes with double sided pedals, just in case there should be a problem. Not noticed any wear on the cleats when recessed as you'd expect and the pedals mean any shoe
can be worn. Worth considering how much walking you need to do and on what type of surface. Gez

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm an MTB cleat man myself, though I use A525s on my road bikes. Walking is easier, I can wear any shoe with any bike. Like you, I wear touring shoes on my road bikes. I'm not a racer or time trialler, so they do me just dandy.

doouk

Regular
Had my first ride with MTB cleats on a road bike. Still a struggle to clip. I unclip the wrong foot at one point and fell the opposite way into a bollard. My left pedal seem more difficult to unclip.

Last edited:

doouk

Regular
Do you have them set on the lowest tension? (both sides if something like an M520)

If struggling you could always invest in SH56 multi directional cleats

I will adjust tension on my next ride. Fitted them without any adjustment.

Top Bottom