Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is a broken collarbone or farked rotator cuff better than a broken finger, then?

Tuck and roll - never put your hand out as that usually ends up with a broken collarbone.

fossyant

Today I bought a set Shimano SPD PD-515 pedals, 1 damaged but at 0.50 I took the risk on having to bin them.
The damage is a broken off plastic ridged wheel/nut near the pedal mount, likely to open them for servicing.
Question now is without that wheel, if the pedal still does the job. There is nothing metallic damaged, only plastic, including a kinda tube to the inside of the pedal. Can I assume that the pedal won't shoot off or so?

Should be fine, but you won't be able to service it. TBH I always use XT SPD's - the construction and reliability is outstanding - even better than M520's

fossyant

Thank you.
I searched for that term "collar" and found this as description:
"Threaded collar: The threaded collar — or lockring by its other name — is an important component that keeps the pedal body attached to the axle. On budget models, the alloy collar is replaced by a nylon cap. A set of sturdy mole grips or Shimano’s own proper TL-PD40 tool can be used to loosen this. Our super-quick, five minute pedal service will keep your Shimano SPD pedals spinning smoothly for years to come."
So it's a lockring principle, from what I can understand from it, likely it was tightened and in that state the cap and some part of the collar broke off. In that case, I could use the pedals.

You ideally need the tool for the plastic lockrings. The nut/lockring goes inside the bode quite a way and 'floats' on the axel. With the more expensive pedals, you can leave the pedal screwed onto the crank, and use a spanner to undo the "lockring" - this lets the pedal come off the axel, with the axel still attached to the crank - makes re-greasing a doddle.

Sharky

Guru
Can't we start calling them clip in pedals?
I'm sure you know why they are called clipless pedals, but if you think about flat pedals or mtb pedals, they are also without clips. So perhaps we do need a new name for them. I suggest they are called "Click in" pedals to avoid any confusion/association with toe clips.

Wifey crashed into a bollard on a paved bike trail a cpl yrs ago. she put out her hand on the way down & broke her wrist

while riding a MTB in the woods last winter, before I put the studs on, I went down hard on glare ice. it happened so quickly I had no time to react, & wisely went down w/ my hands on the bars, striking the ground with the whole side of my body, not just my shoulder. that is definitely the right way to go down. of course I promptly mounted up the studded tires after that ...

icowden

Veteran
Just embrace the illogicality of language. We all know what clipless pedals are.
Yes YOU do. Anyone new to cycling won't have the foggiest. I prefer "cleated pedals".

IcySwan1

I just bought a hybrid with flat pedals and don't have any clip shoes. If I borrowed a bike with clip pedals, would I be able to ride it with non-clip shoes?

Top Bottom