Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

I now know I spoke to soon. Had my first clipless incident on Wednesday.

Approaching a set of red lights with a queue of traffic, I pull up next to a guy on a moped, come to a complete standstill, can't get my left foot out of the pedal quick enough and it was like that wine bar scene from Only Fools and Horses. I crashed down and sat there for half a second laughing. In fact I think I started to laugh on the way down.

The guy on the moped asked if I was ok, which I was. But very very embarassed. Jumped back on the bike and couldn't wait for the lights to change.

Also think I know what caused it as well. The night before I noticed one of my cleats had become loose so I tightened them both up. I'm guessing that I may have tightened them slightly more that I originally did as since then I have found the left shoe does seem a little more difficult to get into the pedal.

Hasn't put me off clipless pedals though :thumbsup:

The publishers of JUST RIDE gave me permission to reproduce this from his book

The Shoes Ruse

In this extract from his book JUST RIDE, Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works explodes some of the myths surrounding clip-in pedals

cover_just_ride.jpg
The shoes ruse

A firm attachment to the pedals was helpful and almost necessary in the early days of bike racing, when all bikes had fixed gears (no freewheel, no coasting), and the gears were low by today’s standards. Then, once the racers got up to 18 miles per hour or so, they were spinning the pedals like human roadrunners, and if a foot came off the pedal, it was harder to slow the bike down and find the pedals again. Toe clips, straps, and cleats evolved to secure the foot and reduce the danger of runaway pedals, and eventually the freewheel eliminated that danger altogether. But by then, the clips and straps were entrenched, and there was no going back. By 1980, if you rode a bike and didn’t use toe clips, straps, and cleats, you weren’t serious.
Then, in the mid ’80s, LOOK—a ski boot and binding maker—introduced ski-binding technology to bikes, with the first popular clipless pedal-and-shoe system. Pro racers took to it, other manufacturers followed, and within three years virtually every road racer in the First World had converted. It spilled over to mountain-bike racing, and today even a few gullible commuters have adopted them. When I see ten-year-olds riding with clipless shoes and pedals, I fear for the future.
Proponents say:
With clipless, there’s more power to the pedal because it’s not being absorbed by a soft and flexible shoe sole.
With clipless, it’s easier to apply power all around the circular pedal stroke.
Neither is true, though.
As long as your pedals aren’t dinky - say, as long as they’re 2.5 x 3.5 inches, or about the size of a compact digital camera - any shoe does the job without flexing, because the shoe is supported by the pedal. If the pedal can’t flex, the shoe can’t - no matter how flexy it may be just out of the box. Besides, the part of your foot that’s behind the pedal can’t flex while you’re pedaling, because your foot mechanics won’t allow it.
The only riders who benefit from clipless pedals are racers, and only because their pedals are so small and slippery. If you don’t ride tiny, slippery pedals, you don’t need stiff, cleated shoes.
And the 360-degrees-of-power argument is just as weak. In studies where efficient, pro pedal-ers and lousy rookie pedalers have been hooked up to machines that measure muscle activity during pedaling, the machines tell us that nobody pulls up on the backstroke. The most efficient pedalers just push down less on the upward moving pedal than the rookies do. (They still push down on the upward-moving pedal - not a good thing, because effectively one leg is fighting the other - but the best pedalers push down less.) Now, if they don’t pull up, you don’t pull up, and if you don’t pull up, there’s no 360 degrees of power, and no biomechanical/physiological reason to lock your foot to the pedal.
The benefits of pedaling free far outweigh any real or imagined benefits of being locked in. They are as follows:
You can wear any casual shoe in your closet - whatever your mood, your outfit, and the weather calls for. You don’t have to go find your “cycling shoes” because you won’t have invested in techie two-hundred-dollar pedals that require them.
Your muscles last longer. Moving your foot about the pedal shifts the load, even if slightly, to different muscles, and spreads the load around. Sprint up hills on the balls of your feet and, on long-seated climbs, push with the pedal centered almost under your arch. It’s not a turbocharged, magic sweet spot, but it feels better and more natural, and you can’t do it if you’re locked in.
You reduce the chance of a repetitive stress injury, because your feet naturally move around more, changing your biomechanics.
You get off and on easier at stoplights; there’s no twisting to get out of your pedals, no fussing to get back in.
You can walk in stores without walking on your heels. You can run! You aren’t handicapped by expensive and weird-looking shoes.
Riding “free” isn’t new or revolutionary, and it’s not just a grumpy stab at the established order. It’s normal, it’s natural - it’s the way you rode as a kid, the way most of the planet rides, and the way you’d ride if you weren’t under the racing influence. Can you imagine yourself - after years or decades of perfectly uneventful happy riding in regular shoes and pedals - concluding that you’d be better off riding in shoes that didn’t work as well off the bike, or on pedals that required special shoes?
I know - of course - that it helps to be firmly attached to the pedal when you’re sprinting in the rain (your foot may slip off the pedals without a fixed connection), or hopping over a dead raccoon, or hiking the bike up over a curb without getting off. But giving up normal shoes for a few rare circumstances like these doesn’t make sense.

Stan_Bowles

I have been reading this FAQ and thread for a while and still cannot make my mind up if to fit some type of Clipless Pedals to my Giant Hybrid or Not as its not a road bike.

Chris

Absolutely no problem, I run a Spesh Sissus Elite hybrid and had it for a year before taking the plunge with clipless pedals.
Then it was a question of waiting for the pedals and shoes to come to a price that I thought was right.
Eventually got spd A530's and Shimano m077 shoes .
Pedals are clips on one side and flat on the other so I can still wear normal shoes for a pop to the shops.
A great match for me, much more effective climbing the Col du Ham in Richmond Park!

Typhon

First of all thanks for a great FAQ, it explains one of the most confusing things I found when starting cycling clearly and concisely.

Having read it though and reading Mickle's posts (#286 and #317) I am very conflicted on going clipless. On the one hand it seems like hassle and a lot of expense and the argument about RSI and even muscle growth are quite compelling. However on the other hand, slipping off my pedals constantly in the rain is getting really irritating. And that is the weather I'm going to be faced with almost every day for the next 7 months or so.

I'm really not sure what to do. My triban 3 did come with toe clips but I had to take them off as my feet wouldn't fit in them. Getting clipless pedals and cleats would cost almost half as much as the bike again and mean that I couldn't use it from A to B as it were but then I never really do that anyway. The pedals are small and difficult to stay on so I think I'm going to have to change them and in my heart of hearts, I can't see myself getting flat bar ones. I think it's going to have to be clipless.

I have been thinking about getting a hybrid as a second bike for times when I just want to go from A to B comfortably and easily. A nice soft wide saddle, big flat pedals and flat bar brakes. Hmm yes, that could be a go-er I think.

Markymark13

Just got some Shimano r540 pedals and r087 shoes. First time ever with clipless. Rode up and down the street a few times clipping and un clipping. Nearly had a moment coming back up the drive though. Just caught it as I started falling over to the right.

Going on a 50 miler tomorrow so will see how I get on!!

Cyclist33

Good stuff. Far and away the hardest thing I find is clipping back in. On every ride, all speed gains have been cancelled out and then some because of not being able to clip back in!

Love feeling of being on it, tho.

Markymark13

Yeh I can see clipping in being a problem under pressure at junctions. The shoes seem too slippy underneath to be able to pedal properly without clipping in as well.

I am scared of falling over still attached. Not so much about hurting myself, as I can get over that, but in fear of scratching my bike (still new and shiny).

Markymark13

Do people generally unclip with one foot when coming to a stop or both, then clip back in on one when stationary? Just trying to avoid any awkward moments tomorrow.

HovR

Über Member
Do people generally unclip with one foot when coming to a stop or both, then clip back in on one when stationary? Just trying to avoid any awkward moments tomorrow.

I always unclip with my left foot, and leave my right foot clipped in ready for pushing off.

Markymark13

Ahh thanks for that. I will leave one clipped in then. I use toe clips at the moment and leave my left foot in when I stop so I will do the same with the clipless, as I guess that I am used to that way now.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Unless you like fannying about needlessly, I suggest you keep one foot clipped in (this also leads to some of the best clipless moments that can be had, i.e. clip one foot out, then fall over the other way for one reason or another) :smile:

Markymark13

Well today went well. Ended up doing 50 miles. No clipless moments for me, but my weekend riding partner had a couple. Quite funny, but I am sure that it will happen to me sooner or later! I must say that the bike felt faster, it was easier to lay the power down and I felt more in control of it all. Great upgrade.

Top Bottom