Clipless pedals...How many falls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've fallen twice in 6 years. Once when I forgot to change down gear and just couldn't get momentum. TIMBER
And once when I first tried trackstanding on a fixed wheel.

I only had one incident. It was at Tooting Broadway, where I stopped as the lights changed, freed my left foot, and, inexplicably, leaned slightly to the right. I got up, got back on the bike, and waited, red-faced, the hour (or so it seemed) for the lights to change.

I suppose one other thing kinda counts. I was using single sided pedals (A520) in the rain on the commute. I set off from the lights, pushed hard, but my foot was on the underside of the pedal, so it slipped, and I caught my knackers on the saddle. But I didn't fall off.

I've been riding clipless for about four or five years.

I think my lack of problems may be to do with the fact that I previously rode with clips & straps for twenty years, pretty successfully. Compared to them, clipless are a breeze. Once, as I was riding out of Lancaster towards the Kellets, I tightened my straps because I was out of town, and didn't need to put my feet down for a while. I sped round a corner, and found myself behind a queue of cars at a temporary traffic light. I managed to stop, but I couldn't get my feet out, so I fell onto the verge, and lay on my back, bike in the air. I giggled for a long time before I could loosen the straps.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've not has a true clipless moment but a couple of times I've had my overshoes caught over the pedal (this was worst with Looks - no longer happens with Crank Bros) and thus not actually been able to get free quick enough. One time it was particularly embarassing as I was on my first ride out with a new club.

I'll second Clarion's point about previously using toe clips - I raced on road and track for years with toe clips and straps done up so tight they hurt - so being used to bobbing down to hit the release on the straps (especially on fixed track bikes) mean clipless pedals are a breeze.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Very dangerous to say, but none in about 12 months of using them. Close a few times though
whistling.gif

Martin

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have had two falls as a result of my clips.

One: I had just started to use them, and was riding up to my friend who was waiting for me at a park. I aproached him, came to a stop, and fell over right in front of him. He was extremely confused and asked me what I was doing. :huh:

Two: Tried trackstanding down a quiet road. I had my left foot unclipped (always unclip it when stopping) to anticipate the fall. But unfortunately I fell onto the right side, and sustained a road rash to my knee, scrapes on the seat, etc.

OP
OP
D

del

hahah I know I shouldn't but I actually feel a lot better after hearing of the pain and misery you've all been through :smile:

I did notice my falling technique was rather bad though, straight on the knee...but im sure it will improve soon.

Once on my flat bar road bike with spd's but three times on my Bianchi with spd-sl :blush:

Oh I suppose after reading some of the above I better elaborate on my moments :blush:

With the spd's on the Sirrus, I'd had them about a month, stopped just before the stop line at the end of George Street, un clipped the left but then realised I couldn't quite see the traffic light on the right and leant back, cue the slow motion moment :blush: Given my embarrassment they've re modelled the junction several times and in their last mod they've moved the traffic light to where I could have saw it.

On the Bianchi with spd-sl, the first one was when I went to turn right from a residential road onto a promenade, a car must have been parked up at the promenade and drove off, cue the unexpected give way and more slow motion :blush:

The second time with the ERclub I was filtering towards a set of lights down the middle of a queue of cars and was paying more attention to my club mates than the cars :blush: one of them lurched left marginally leaving me without room and cue the unexpected stop and a clipless moment and thankyou to another driver for not driving over me or the bike and being concerned.
The third time was just last week, my current club (DCC) quite often go along a shared path through Kincardine but this time they turned right (160deg) and up a steep footpath to get back on to the road, I'd unclipped at the bottom and when I went to apply pressure my unclipped left foot slipped, cue yet another clipless moment into the weeds and nettles on my right (well it looked like a soft spot to land at the time :blush: )

Touch wood I'm yet to have a moment on the Velocity or Kinesis, but it only a matter of time :blush:

dongo

Regular
Some good ones there and nice to know it's not just me
biggrin.gif

3rd clipless ride, I cycled up the hill to our house which took it out of my legs. Went to unclip as I was braking and just didn't push hard enough as my legs were tired. Came crashing down on the pavement scratched my two day old bike and made a hole in my two day old tights.

I also made a hole in my 39yr old knee, the first time I've skinned my knee since I was a little lad - took a lot longer to heal than it used too.
sad.gif

PC_Arcade

Reading that reminded me of mine also in George Street (Oxford though).

I unclipped my left foot approaching the red light at the top of the road just outside Debenhams, slowly coasted up to the lights, leant left to put my foot down...Only to discover the bloody thing had clipped back in while i was coasting, fell straight at the feet of some girl who screamed and asked if I needed an ambulance! :laugh:

Very embarassing, especially as it was about 4:30 on Thusday afternoon, peak shopping time. The light's took a LONG LONG time to change!

Borbus

I've only had one unclipping moment. I biked right up my driveway and came to a stop and unclipped my left foot. Unfortunately the driveway slopes to the right, so I began to topple over, saved only by a conveniently placed fence which I was able to grab on to.

With clipping in I've had too many moments to remember where I've been unable to clip in quickly and forced to continue out of a junction or on to a roundabout not fully clipped in. It's scary when that happens because I know at any moment my foot could slip and sometimes it does. Luckily it's never caused a serious problem, I just look a bit stupid pedaling slowly for a while.

carolonabike

I've had a few over the years but my most recent was also the most embarrassing. We had stopped to check the map, I had my right foot on the ground but left my left one clipped in. Suddenly to everyone's astonishment I just keeled over to the left and landed with a bang on the ground. I assume my wheel tilted just enough to throw me off balance.

I managed to gouge a lump out of my right shin where it caught the pedal, bruise my left knee, hip and arm.

I was with some doubting Thomas's "don't know how you can ride with those things, they are sooo dangerous" So, of course I had to jump up and pretend everything was fine.

Lesson learned, when standing for any length of time put BOTH feet on the ground.

I now have a nice graze on my left knee after stopping at the junction at the end of my street without unclipping first. I didn't plan on stopping but the bike had other ideas :-)

Thats my second time which also coincides with my second outing with clipless pedals. Oh well it's all part of the learning curve.

Top Bottom