Clipless Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GentlyBenevolent

Actually just looked at these again & i'm not sure if these might be slightly better being a slightly bigger platform maybe !!
I went for the 530 as I thought the cage would help guide my shoe in. After about 4 rides I could clip at least one foot straight in, and now it's rare not to get straight in.

I did find on one ride that I was getting a bit stiff in the thighs on an uphill, and I was able to unclip and use the pedals without being clipped in to stretch a little. They're not a flat pedal as the clip mech sticks up a little, but I reckon I could use normal shoes with them for about a mile if I needed to nip to a shop or something. If you have any questions fire away - happy to help if I can.

*Edit - Also, you can get a new set of M520s delivered free from CRC for £20 (white) or £23 (black). Keep that in mind if you go for the ebay set.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sorry i did not see they were second hand, you can get a new pair for that price albiet without cleats .

Cyclist33

Both sets of spd pedals I bought came with the cleats, one time it was wiggle, the other amazon and no more than 22 quid either time. Buy new!

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Add another £5 and pop yourself down to EBC (walker Newcastle) and buy yourself a set of THESE .. like others have said a brilliant pedal for the price :thumbsup:

I have them on my Boardman Team CX and love them.

Shoe wise I bought a pair of THESE about four years ago and they're still as strong today as I bought them, comfortable to wear both on and off the bike and easy to walk about in, yet feel stiff while cycling (which is what you want) you forget you're wearing them even on long trips.
Thanks Norman, my only concern would be they are only single sided & i'm not sure if i would need a double sided pedal for starting off maybe ???

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

If you buy the ones without cleats I have some cleats exactly the same as that are listed that you can have (SM-SH51 single release cleats, with bolts etc). They have done around 20 miles as after I nearly fell off whilst being clipped in I decided to go for some SM-SH56 multiple release cleats. The multiple release cleats allow you to unclip even if you panic and pull your foot upwards, whereas the single release cleats mean you can only unclip if you twist your foot. If you pm me your address I can send them for free as they have only been sitting in my draw doing nowt for the last 2 years and I will never use them.

The cleats do not come with shoes as far as I am aware, usually with pedals or you buy them separate. Buying pedals without them is handy if you have 2 bikes as the cleats are attached to the shoes so you just need one set.

Thanks for the kind offer Cheesney , i'll let you know if i'm gonna take you up on your offer.
Cheers.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

You're in luck .. THESE have just been reduced in price, they come with cleats too :thumbsup:

Cheers, its down to them or the 530's for a fiver more...mmmmmm !

D

Deleted member 23692

M530s are just M520s with a platform. I've just put a pair of 530's on my road bike and think they are superb, and that's comparing them with the excellent M647s that I've currently got on my MTB. In fact I'm considering replacing the M647s with another pair of M530s.

To get the most from the extra support the platform you really need shoes with recessed cleats so the outer edge of the soles touches the platform sides.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good choice - they come up a little small IMO so you'll probably need to go a Euro size up whcih I guess you did?

Top Bottom