Clipless Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320983493799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Are these good for what i need ??....these are very local so i can save on p&p charges aswell.

I'm a complete 'clipless' virgin but feel ready to give them a go now, i ride a Spesh Crosstrail Hybrid type, it says cleats included so i presume all i need with them are some shoes ??
Any recommendations for any particular shoes, i don't really want to spend any more than about £70 & will be using them to commute/train in...basically everything ha ha

Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Ive just a pair from the same place! Mine were an earlier version (505's) and I got a cheap pair of shoes from Sportsdirect.com. Didn't want to spend much as like you, I'd never treid them before. Had a couple of good runs out in them now and I love them. Really easy to get into (and out of) and a really secure feeling when on the bike. I remeber many moons ago when I used to have a pair of leather shoes and toe clips, Believe me you had to plan ahead to get out of those. Go for it Wobblybob.

monkeylc

Über Member
I've just fitted a pair of those on my hybrid and wish I'd have done it years ago mate,really are an amazing difference.
Aldi are doing spd shoes this Thurs and its good stuff, mtb style so you can walk in them when off the bike.
spent the day walking in mine and they fine.
Just loosen them to start with while you get used to clipping in/out.

sittingbull

Veteran
The M520's are great pedals, I've got them on a road and an MTB bike and have spares (which I've never needed, currently done 7000 miles on the MTB with no problems, I just spray them with GT85 when they're wet) :smile:

Those particular ones look OK, the small white stickers on the axles suggest little use (mine washed off almost immediately), the scuffing above the letter "M" is normal after repeated cleat engagement.

Looks like a small amount of rust on the "silver" coloured part where the toe of the cleat engages (might be dirt or shadow) but the spring mechanism will be greased from the factory :thumbsup:

Whichever ones you get it's a good idea to copper-grease the threads so you can shift them in the future and remember the left pedal has a left handed thread :smile:

GentlyBenevolent

I use a set of the M530 pedals (CRC link - Review) - very similar to these but with slightly more cage. Got them for £22 new in a CRC sale but they're a little dearer now. Went to evans to get the spec. tahoe shoes (as vickster lists) in the right size. I hadn't used clipless pedals at all before these.

I've wound them all the way out to the easiest setting and I've (touchwood) not been stuck in the pedals yet, and not popped out of them unexpectedly. They're pretty ronseal for me.

monkeylc

Über Member
need to tighten mine a bit,unclipped without wanting to today :blush:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aldi SPD shoes from Thursday.
+1
For a starter shoe they are fine and i have used them on club runs, they are not the stiffest but but general cycling duties they are good value .
the m520 pedals are a great deal , i use them on the commuter and are fantastic for the price.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks very much for the advice, yeah the auction finishes tonight but as you say they're running a bit high for used ones...although they come with cleats (not sure if they are part of the pedal or shoe or something you need seperately ??) & no idea how much they are ??
Looked at those Aldi shoes & they seem fine for what i'm gonna need them to do & funnily enough a few people have mentioned the 'Tahoe's' which my friend also recommended as he has had some for a couple of years now & reckons they are super comfy....you pays your money you takes your choice i suppose.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

I use a set of the M530 pedals (CRC link - Review) - very similar to these but with slightly more cage. Got them for £22 new in a CRC sale but they're a little dearer now. Went to evans to get the spec. tahoe shoes (as vickster lists) in the right size. I hadn't used clipless pedals at all before these.

I've wound them all the way out to the easiest setting and I've (touchwood) not been stuck in the pedals yet, and not popped out of them unexpectedly. They're pretty ronseal for me.

Actually just looked at these again & i'm not sure if these might be slightly better being a slightly bigger platform maybe !!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If you buy the ones without cleats I have some cleats exactly the same as that are listed that you can have (SM-SH51 single release cleats, with bolts etc). They have done around 20 miles as after I nearly fell off whilst being clipped in I decided to go for some SM-SH56 multiple release cleats. The multiple release cleats allow you to unclip even if you panic and pull your foot upwards, whereas the single release cleats mean you can only unclip if you twist your foot. If you pm me your address I can send them for free as they have only been sitting in my draw doing nowt for the last 2 years and I will never use them.

The cleats do not come with shoes as far as I am aware, usually with pedals or you buy them separate. Buying pedals without them is handy if you have 2 bikes as the cleats are attached to the shoes so you just need one set.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Add another £5 and pop yourself down to EBC (walker Newcastle) and buy yourself a set of THESE .. like others have said a brilliant pedal for the price :thumbsup:

I have them on my Boardman Team CX and love them.

Shoe wise I bought a pair of THESE about four years ago and they're still as strong today as I bought them, comfortable to wear both on and off the bike and easy to walk about in, yet feel stiff while cycling (which is what you want) you forget you're wearing them even on long trips.

Top Bottom