Clipless Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I am currently using platform pedals and would like to try clipless for MTB / commuting.

I have looked at Shimano SPD and feel they are the better option for my needs. I have also seen that Shimano make a variant called ClickR. I couldnt see what was the difference between the two. Are they the same or is there subtle differences?

I have also considered the Crank Brothers egg beater pedals as they allow 'a bit of float' and are kinder to the knees. are they kinder to your knees and are these compatible with Shimano SPD?

Cheers
w

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I use Shimano M520s which gives you the ability to use them as flats too...

They've been great since I've had the,

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have tried both SPD and crank brothers egg beaters and much prefer the latter in use. The four way clipiness is really good, and they are simpler and easier.

However, the Shimano SPD are ridiculously cheap in basic model, and the bling model crank brothers are ridiculously expensive, though cooking model not so bad. I also fee the crank brothers ones need repair more often (not difficult), though I didn't have the Shimanos all that long, so perhaps unfair comparison.

So a guarded recommendation for the egg beaters . I've also tried the crank brothers candy's on my other bike, but didn't see any point in the silly little plastic platform, so got rid of em in favour of proper egg beaters.

OP
OP

139NI

i am siding with Shimano....ummm

in terms of comfort, which is better in terms of 'float'. i understand the Crank bro ones have the ability to allow some 'sideways give' when pedalling whilst the shimanos just hold your feet firm

although i have no experience of clip less, do you think i need float or should i have my feet held firm

also which one allows quicker disengagement - i would be using it on my armoured bike as you well know

Big Nick

M530's are decent

Quite a large platform so no problems with normal trainers for shorter journeys

Have a look at A520 and A530
I started with the A530 these are double sided, though the flat side I found wasn't to my liking others like them, the A520 are my current in use pedals and I love them, they are single sided, though if you don't engage first time, you can rotate the crank ok, but 99% of the time the pedal presents really well. They are more road orientated than the M series being more for touring and being spd compatible shoes are easy to walk in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shimano SPD will have enough float for you.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use M520's on both road and hybrid, with standard SH51 cleats. There is lots of float, and with low tension they are easy to clip in and out. And they are very cheap:smile:

OP
OP

139NI

I have ridden with @139NI for over 8 years and I never realised that he wasn't using clipless.
i always like to be able to put my foot down on the road whenever i want. was always afraid to take the challenge of clip less. found it hard to hoist myself up hill against a friend on ditching last week. she did have a professional grade bike though.
Thats why i need a little help with acceleration and hills. thought new pedals would be some of the answer. my bike as you well know is heavier than yours and that makes thing harder

OP
OP

139NI

am looking on what chainreaction cycles have got, likely to buy from there cos cheap and range is fairly wide. am considering Shimano M530, M324, M424, PDT-400, M545, PDT-420. I like a slight platform. does anyone have any views about these

Top Bottom