Clipless Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

139NI

I use M520's on both road and hybrid, with standard SH51 cleats. There is lots of float, and with low tension they are easy to clip in and out. And they are very cheap:smile:
oh, would i be looking at a variety of cleats as well as ??

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
oh, would i be looking at a variety of cleats as well as ??
Choice of 2. The standard cleats which normally come with the pedals are the SH51. To unclip you rotate your heel outwards. The SH56 cleats can be bought separately, and allow you to unclip in a variety of directions. I learnt on SPD pedals and have never had a problem.

OP
OP

139NI

Choice of 2. The standard cleats which normally come with the pedals are the SH51. To unclip you rotate your heel outwards. The SH56 cleats can be bought separately, and allow you to unclip in a variety of directions. I learnt on SPD pedals and have never had a problem.
uuummmm. i like uncliping in a variety of positions.

i just shudder at the thought of having a crash on the bike and still being attached to the bike, that would be more grave than just comming of it and rolling away from danger. That is the reason why i have only now considered clip less

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'd go with SPD's whatever style you like but back of the tension to minimum to start with so that you can unclip easily to avoid the dreaded clipless moment. I've got some pedals from EBC several years ago that have flats one side and SPD's the other. I also have some M520's that I used to have on road bike. I gave them to my brother but he never used them (keep forgetting to get them back off him) I want to put them on the MTB as I never ride out of cycling shoes nowadays. I find there's enough float on all my pedals, just make sure you set up the cleat position for your gait (toes in or out).

Sit on a high seat/table so that your feet dangle and look at what your natural foot position is. Do your toes point in or out? does one point in differently to the other? Lots of Youtube clips to give you ideas of how to set cleats up.

Don't do what I've heard done and leave cleat bolts loose until you have decided position is right. If you loose one cleat bolt shoe will twist but cleat will remain in pedal :blush:. I have cleat bolts held in place with loctite.

midlife

Guru
I use Shimano SPD's and be aware the shoe sizes are a bit odd so would buy after trying them for size..........Shimano think my feet are two sizes different from real life ..

Shaun

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
uuummmm. i like uncliping in a variety of positions.

i just shudder at the thought of having a crash on the bike and still being attached to the bike, that would be more grave than just comming of it and rolling away from danger. That is the reason why i have only now considered clip less

Always unclips Will. Nothing to worry about.
The 'me-car' me-ped', me-tarmac' interactions I have had have always resulted in my feet unclipping.

Jhey

I got myself a pair of clipless pedals last week, I love them, was worried at first, nearly fell twice but when I panicked my feet just came out so luckily never hit the floor lol. Only issue I found is getting the cleats sat properly, I have too keep adjusting, either my feet burn, ankle aches or knee pain, but I think that's due to having dodgy feet that point outwards lol. I do recommend them tho.

I got shimano M530 pedals and m064 shoes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Click'r pedals are meant to offer an easier release than standard Shimano SPD (i.e don't have to twist so hard).

SPD-compatible pedals like the Eggbeater or Time Atac use different cleats, but have the bolts in the same place so can be used on the same shoes. On some compatible pedals (eg Wellgo), the cleats are so similar to Shimano's that they are effectively interchangeable, on others (Speedplay Frog), they don't even look similar.

Different pedal systems offer different amounts of rotation before the clip starts to release the cleat ("play"). This rotation may either be completely free, or may have a return to centre spring force. More play allows less precise cleat positioning, and those with sensitive knees find them better. Once a cleat has been fitted to a shoe, it leaves indentations in the shoe sole that make it hard to adjust the position slightly.

Double-sided SPD with a cage (such as the M424) allow a good foot platform for pedalling before you've got clipped in, but aren't too good for riding with ordinary shoes as the clip mechanism stands proud of the cage and makes an uncomfortable bulge against the sole of a shoe without a cleat recess.

I'm currently using PD-M530 double-sided SPD on one bike, and PD-T780 (SPD side/flat side) on the other. The T780 mostly hang so I clip in just as fast as the M530.
The easiest to clip into that I've ever used were the Eggbeaters (but the original version had fragile bearings),
The easiest to release from I've ever used (that I didn't also pull out from) were Onza HO with well worn cleats (no longer available).

OP
OP

139NI

just ordered shimano M530

cheers for the advice, i would have gone for something unsuitable otherwise

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
just ordered shimano M530

cheers for the advice, i would have gone for something unsuitable otherwise

Now you just need a I nice lightweight shiney new road bike to go with your shiney new pedals. That way you will be able to keep up with 139NI Jr.

Top Bottom