'Clipless' pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To get back to the point of the thread, I like the French term for clipless as "Automatic pedals". A much better description, I feel.

As for power transfer, as long as your foot is held firmly on the pedal one system is as good as another. Toeclips and straps are just as efficient as clipless when used properly with shoe plates, just more awkward to get in and out of. Kelly won all his classics using toeclips, the last few when he was the only rider in the peleton not on clipless. Ditto Roche when he won the Tour, most of his rivals had switched to clipless that year.

bonj2

mickle said:
Its not about the type of shoe, a good dirt shoe is a stiff as the equivalent road shoe. The difference between road and dirt pedals is that road pedals are single sided and designed to have a low Cd, whilst dirt pedals are designed to be easier to clip into and shed mud. The requirement that dirt shoes be walkinable dictates that the cleat be recessed into the sole. So whilst dirt pedals and shoes are less aerodynamic, are heavier by virtue of them being double sided and having some tread those are the only disadvantages in terms of performance. Theres no difference in 'efficiency' or power transfer between foot and pedal. Anyone who justifies wearing funny looking shoes which are close to impossible to walk in on the basis that they are more efficient is deluding themselves, its all about fashion.

THANK you mickle. As I suspected - I could sense we were getting to the bottom of this.

Abitrary

mickle said:
Its not about the type of shoe, a good dirt shoe is a stiff as the equivalent road shoe.

I've only ever used clips and the spd type but I don't think it's only about stiffness. I reckon here's also the issue of anatomic comfort in the foot and ankle, especially over long distances.

Surely the wider contact points on the road type ones are better for you, at least whilst riding? A bit like roller skates versus ice skates?

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Abitrary said:
I've only ever used clips and the spd type but I don't think it's only about stiffness. I reckon here's also the issue of anatomic comfort in the foot and ankle, especially over long distances.

Surely the wider contact points on the road type ones are better for you, at least whilst riding? A bit like roller skates versus ice skates?

If the sole is stiff cleat size is irrelevant. And who is to say that having a super stiff sole is best for your feet? Some of the latest shoes have stiffness adjusting dials, if 100% stiffness is best why do they provide adjustment.

Top Bottom