'Clipless' pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They stick up so as you bring your foot forward you flip the pedal and engage. If you miss it first time it means you 'might' flip the pedal backwards when you bring your foot back to try again and therefore have to lift your foot and repeat the first action again. It's a technique you quickly master, just like I've now mastered clipping in in one swift movement, whereas when I started I fumbled about trying to line it all up.

The only time it goes wrong is when you are really concentrating hard to get moving and into position and then you might miss the clip and just pedal until you have a free moment to re-clip the pedal but this equally applies to just not getting your foot clipped as you move off and having to just re-adjust once you've time to do it: Slight extra faff maybe.

Edit: Have bought double sided for my Mtn bike as that's a different situation to road riding

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
you've got road pedals on your mtb? :blush: :biggrin::sad:

Nah, I haven't got one at the moment. Last one got nicked, but might be too old for that now.

How many miles are doing a week now?

bonj2

domtyler said:
Nah, I haven't got one at the moment. Last one got nicked, but might be too old for that now.

How many miles are doing a week now?

so you've got THREE road bikes? whatever for? :blush: :biggrin:

miles, (excluding any mtb riding) on a good week 135, on a lazy week 90. but it involves enough stopping and starting for me to want it not to be a pain in the arse to clip in.

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
so you've got THREE road bikes? whatever for? :blush: :biggrin:

miles, (excluding any mtb riding) on a good week 135, on a lazy week 90. but it involves enough stopping and starting for me to want it not to be a pain in the arse to clip in.

If you're doing those kind of miles then you want road pedals, seriously. The extra efficiency will pay dividends. Clipping in, as I said, is a matter of getting the knack, just like anything else. Once you've learnt how to do it it ceases to be an issue.

bonj2

what percentage efficiency will I gain? and surely the gain is in the shoes for having stiffer soles, not the pedals?

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
...I have Ultegras...
Those ultegras look more efficient than my SPD pedals (small block type made by CODA, anyone know who are they? Haven't seen much kit made by them).
They look lighter in weight, and, I imagine, they evenly distribute the power from the sole of the shoe.

Do the shoes have recessed cleats so you can walk in them?

Road shoes like the Shimano SL range are an improvement in efficiency over SPDs - I think it's because your foot is held more firmly so there's no play. But they don't have walkable cleats - well, not walking in a normal way, and as they're plastic they wear out quite quickly if you do walk in them - I live down a gravel drive that I don't like riding my road bike on, and get through cleats every 4 months.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Stick on a Giant said:
Road shoes like the Shimano SL range are an improvement in efficiency over SPDs - I think it's because your foot is held more firmly so there's no play. But they don't have walkable cleats - well, not walking in a normal way, and as they're plastic they wear out quite quickly if you do walk in them - I live down a gravel drive that I don't like riding my road bike on, and get through cleats every 4 months.

They're more efficient eh? If play is power sapping how do you account for built in float? I dont know of any evidence which indicates that road pedals are more efficient aside from a possible reduction in rotating weight.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got two pairs of shoes. I like SPDs for commuting, I can never get my feet in the SPD-SLs reliably enough to pull away at a bloody big roundabout fr'instance. Mostly I get it right, and I do use them in the summer if I want to get some extra miles in on the way home and want to use my better bike. SPDs most of the time though, since if I don't get my foot in (rare) then I can still accelerate unclipped. Plus I can go to Sainsbury's on the way home and stuff like that. Plus the cleats last a long time (since I live in a one-way street I often walk the first bit on the pavement to save going onto the ring road)

Might consider speedplays or similar however.

I don't call them clipless. I just call them pedals.

Blue

Legendary Member
Stick on a Giant said:
Road shoes like the Shimano SL range are an improvement in efficiency over SPDs - I think it's because your foot is held more firmly so there's no play. .

The Speedplay site states that there isn't any evidence that float reduces power.

I think any increase in power transfer will be due to the stiffer sole on a typical road shoe added to the larger area of contact with the pedal.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Blue said:
The Speedplay site states that there isn't any evidence that float reduces power.

I think any increase in power transfer will be due to the stiffer sole on a typical road shoe added to the larger area of contact with the pedal.

Its not about the type of shoe, a good dirt shoe is a stiff as the equivalent road shoe. The difference between road and dirt pedals is that road pedals are single sided and designed to have a low Cd, whilst dirt pedals are designed to be easier to clip into and shed mud. The requirement that dirt shoes be walkinable dictates that the cleat be recessed into the sole. So whilst dirt pedals and shoes are less aerodynamic, are heavier by virtue of them being double sided and having some tread those are the only disadvantages in terms of performance. Theres no difference in 'efficiency' or power transfer between foot and pedal. Anyone who justifies wearing funny looking shoes which are close to impossible to walk in on the basis that they are more efficient is deluding themselves, its all about fashion.

Top Bottom