Clipless Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John90

Über Member
I get that on long rides they must improve efficiency. But that endless clipping in and out on commutes - surely that is more trouble than it is worth? (Says a smelly mountain biker).

I get that on long rides they must improve efficiency. But that endless clipping in and out on commutes - surely that is more trouble than it is worth? (Says a smelly mountain biker).
You learn to anticipate light phases / traffic stops, if you can minimise the unclipping, all the better.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's just second nature, I don't even think about it. It allows sprinting off the lights or over junctions which can get you out of danger zones quickly and safely. Clipping into an SPD is much easier than a road cleat, just slam your foot on the pedal and you're done.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I have had a couple of sticky moments doing that on worn cleats and having my foot pull out - once I kneed the end of my (drop) bar, the other time I somehow got my foot stuck in the frame and locked the back wheel up. Miraculously, didn't fall off either time, but probably put the wind up the drivers following a bit

Moral : change your cleats when they wear out

Top Bottom