Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Yaay, just done my first proper ride in spd shoes. Ace! So connected to the ride, and quick!

No falls but an almost, ironically while completely static, not even actually cycling, and with one foot already out, I turned to admire another bike and went whoooaaah!

Stu

marshy39

Regular
Well done, i went out last week for the first time.I did have a fall though was stopping for a break unclipped went to get off and had clipped back in.Over I went the people in the car behind must have p....d themselves laughing.It was funny though.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I still find it seethingly hard to get back into the pedals having unclipped. I wasted five minutes in one go at one point just trying to get the fecking thing on!

37 miles with a 15mph average which is a huge amount faster than I have previously managed.

Stu

RWright

Guru
I still find it seethingly hard to get back into the pedals having unclipped. I wasted five minutes in one go at one point just trying to get the fecking thing on!

37 miles with a 15mph average which is a huge amount faster than I have previously managed.

Stu

Same here. I am about two weeks into using my SPD SLs and still get nervous about having to clip back in at stop lights with traffic around.

G2EWS

Looking forward to getting mine when I choose the right ones.

Was thinking of the Shimano I think 56 that allow you to get out easier?

Regards

Chris

RWright

Guru
I got the SPD SL pedals when I bought my bike used. I think if I were starting without having them already I would have to check out the SPDs very closely, Walking in the SPD SLs is difficult at best. From everything I have read the SPDs do allow you to walk around some and I personally like the more low key style of a lot of the SPD shoes. Most of the SPD SL shoes I have seen are sort of flashy looking.

There are some performance differences that I have read about but that is beyond my ability to comment on since I have only used SPD SLs. I have a pair of the Shimano PD-R540s and PD-6700s, same type pedal on two different bikes. I can't tell any difference in them. I have them both set to the lightest release tension.

defy-one

Andrew .... Don't you have a cover for the cleats?
I'm still debating this route for commuting you see, and i don't want to carry another pair of shoes for working/walking in.

vickster

Legendary Member

Stu
Do you have the pedals on the loosest tension? It is an issue but not too bad if you keep one foot clipped in - I just find myself pedalling with one foot when getting the other in if that makes sense! That said I've probably done about 300 miles max in the SPDs so not exactly an expert - and I do find my feet go numb or crampy!

Good distance at good speed :smile:

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Numbness and crampyness agreed! Yeah, I've got the lowest tension setting, still an absolute arse. Also, I find I can unclip by angling my foot in either direction, which I was led to believe was not possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
What pedals? I did about 20 miles clipped today, I only ever unclip one foot on the bike. My right one went into a mass of pin and needles when I got off the bike...fun! It does make pedalling easier though and no slipping...I am not 100% sold but get the benefits

Not as much as I am on the carbon bike with no pannier and guards! Shame I cannot use it every day

Top Bottom