Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karen.488walker

Am getting the hang of my shimano MTB clipless system. Have had the compulsory topple, where I released the wrong side. I have shimano reflectors on mine so that I can unclip and flip the pedal when I'm nervous. The problem I am having is on long steep uphills I'm finding it hard to unclip once I lose momentum. i.e. exactly when I need to stop. So I'm unclipping before and wimping out. But this is exacly when I need better contact with my pedals. Any ideas??

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Steep hills are a problem both clipping and unclipping, especially when tired. I don't think it's especially silly unclipping early as I've gashed my legs several times in those situations. Try selecting a lower gear and just making it up whatever.

Breedon

Legendary Member
karen.488walker said:
Have had the compulsory topple, where I released the wrong side

LOL happened to me twice you feel bit of a tit don’t you.

TBH I think it's a matter of confidence and time with them, I had them on my MTB but took them off as I was starting to get a little scared using them.
I have just brought some that you can flip over so there flat on one side so I would gain a little confidence and get on with them better.

Just persevere with them and you should be ok.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Yes, it really is just a matter of practice.

But I'm interested in your description of toppling because you ran out of gears. Are you gearing down soon enough and do you have gears low enough for the terrain you are riding?

There should be no reason to find yourself in that position.

Have a look at the gearing information in the "randonneuring" section and "touring bike" sections of VeloWeb.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It might help to reduce the tension on the cleat, there is usually an allen nut to do this, it will make it easier to get out quickly. However make sure you don't make it too loose...

montage

God Almighty
Hairy Jock said:
It might help to reduce the tension on the cleat, there is usually an allen nut to do this, it will make it easier to get out quickly. However make sure you don't make it too loose...

Here is your answer

simongrant

"It might help to reduce the tension on the cleat" just to clarify to OP this means reduce tension on the pedals using the nut rather than the cleat.

Simon

Dave5N

Über Member
I doubt it. You need the foot to sit firm in the pedal. Just get comfortable with getting in and out.

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

Have nut in lowest postition already. As I say I'm fine on the flat, it's just because I'm losing momentum on hills. Don't understand gear comment. Am in lowest gear. MTB. 3 X 7? Guess it would be easier on my road bike but need the mountain bike for Off road sections. Guess I need to practice on less steep hills. Or I wondered if I should buy some multi directional release clips?

simongrant

Dave5N said:
I doubt it. You need the foot to sit firm in the pedal. Just get comfortable with getting in and out.

Whats in doubt?
Okay,go right ahead and loosen your cleats and let me know how you get on.;):laugh::biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Dave5N said:

I my experience the tension on new SPD pedals is often set to the maximum which can make cleating in and out difficult, especially for those who are new to it.

simongrant

Yep agree 100% HJ,both sets of my spd's were set to maximum when i first got em,backed em off to minimum and slowly increased as i got used to them.I hope you don't mind my earlier post about the cleat tension,obviously myself and many others knew what you meant but you might get a newbie to spd's who reads that and starts loosening his cleats which would'nt be good news lol.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
simongrant said:
Yep agree 100% HJ,both sets of my spd's were set to maximum when i first got em,backed em off to minimum and slowly increased as i got used to them.I hope you don't mind my earlier post about the cleat tension,obviously myself and many others knew what you meant but you might get a newbie to spd's who reads that and starts loosening his cleats which would'nt be good news lol.

Re-reading my original post I am glad you added in the clarification :biggrin:

Top Bottom