Clips

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dominics94, 22 Jan 2018.

1. dominics94

dominics94 Member

Hi,

Getting myself a road bike and was wondering what the best clips on the market are?

Nothing too pricey but your opinions will help.

Thanks

2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Depends which shoes you want and whether you fancy walking like a duck when off the bike (Café/pub stop)

Illaveago and buzzy-beans like this.
  3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Check out THIS thread

DavidS likes this.
  4. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

Do you mean clipless (clip-in, confusing I know but it's a historical thing) pedals?

If you do then I personally would recommend Shimano SPD system. The double sided pedals give brilliant results and the MTB biased shoes allow you to walk normally when off the bike with slipping and sliding like Bambi on ice.

No doubt others will be along shortly to tell you it is sacrilege to put SPD pedals on a road bike but it is pretty common in reality and anyone that looks down their nose at you for doing so is not worth listening to!

The basic SPD M520 pedal is great and can be bought for a little over £20 and should come with the cleats to screw to the bottom of your shoes.

5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Whereas the A520 (using the same cleats) is more 'racy' looking but is single sided.

shimano-a520-spd-touring-pedals-00102798-9999-1.jpg

cyberknight likes this.
  6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

If you mean actual clips, people say nice things about power grips recently.

7. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

Personally I far prefer good old toe straps, but there again I don't get on with mobile phones either........... could it be an age thing?

ADarkDraconis and raleighnut like this.
  8. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

booootiful!!

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  9. 2 straps ! Isn't that a bit OTT ?

mybike and buzzy-beans like this.
  10. Easytigers

Easytigers Veteran

Another fan of Shimano 520s here. Cheap as chips (well, nearly) and do a great job.

11. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

I use SPD SL and got some cleat covers to both protect the cleats and aid walking for my walk round to the garage and back. But if you have more walking (shopping in town perhaps) I can see the advantage od M520's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice