Clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dominics94

Hi,

Getting myself a road bike and was wondering what the best clips on the market are?

Nothing too pricey but your opinions will help.

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

Getting myself a road bike and was wondering what the best clips on the market are?

Nothing too pricey but your opinions will help.

Thanks
Depends which shoes you want and whether you fancy walking like a duck when off the bike (Café/pub stop)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you mean clipless (clip-in, confusing I know but it's a historical thing) pedals?

If you do then I personally would recommend Shimano SPD system. The double sided pedals give brilliant results and the MTB biased shoes allow you to walk normally when off the bike with slipping and sliding like Bambi on ice.

No doubt others will be along shortly to tell you it is sacrilege to put SPD pedals on a road bike but it is pretty common in reality and anyone that looks down their nose at you for doing so is not worth listening to!

The basic SPD M520 pedal is great and can be bought for a little over £20 and should come with the cleats to screw to the bottom of your shoes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you mean clipless (clip-in, confusing I know but it's a historical thing) pedals?

If you do then I personally would recommend Shimano SPD system. The double sided pedals give brilliant results and the MTB biased shoes allow you to walk normally when off the bike with slipping and sliding like Bambi on ice.

No doubt others will be along shortly to tell you it is sacrilege to put SPD pedals on a road bike but it is pretty common in reality and anyone that looks down their nose at you for doing so is not worth listening to!

The basic SPD M520 pedal is great and can be bought for a little over £20 and should come with the cleats to screw to the bottom of your shoes.

Whereas the A520 (using the same cleats) is more 'racy' looking but is single sided.

shimano-a520-spd-touring-pedals-00102798-9999-1.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
These are quite snazzy ;)
s-l640.jpg

booootiful!!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I use SPD SL and got some cleat covers to both protect the cleats and aid walking for my walk round to the garage and back. But if you have more walking (shopping in town perhaps) I can see the advantage od M520's.

Top Bottom