Clonking noise on every pedal revolution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I also need a big hefty allen key for the crank (mine at home is way too short!), plus a thingamajig to engage all the little slots around the outside edge of the BB to get it out of the frame. LBS prices were around £40 for the lot, though I accept they're not going to be the cheapest place to buy from!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, some BBs require a splined fitting/removal tool. I think I got one free when buying a crank puller. Other BBs are OK with a pair of wrenches but they're not so common any more and I don't understand why.

Hope the new BB fixes the clonk for you - did they think it was a spindle or bearing problem, then?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

Yes you have demonstrated that Park Tools are very expensive. For professional use maybe they are worth the expenditure - but for a guy who rides a bike and maybe will change his bottom bracket 3 - 5 times in a lifetime there are many other makes that will be perfectly adequate. Basic cycle repair kits with all the essentials listed can be had for less than £40 on eBay and Amazon, as well as appearing from time to time in Aldi and Lidl. The one detailed is £33 delivered from Amazon and there are plenty of others at similar prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-07-16-59-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-07-16-59-05.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, the LBS fixed the problem and I rode back in a clonk-free fashion tonight :biggrin:

In the end it didn't even need replacing. They regreased the bearings and tightened up the cups, and it's good to go again. They also kindly didn't even charge for labour, since my bike had been in for a service recently, which was nice of them.

Thanks again all for the help and suggestions!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My commuter recently developed a slight "clonking" noise when pedalling against resistance. As well as being kind of annoying, I don't want to ignore a warning sign and end up with an expensive trip to the LBS!

My middle front chainring has a kink in it & makes a clunk. When I get a puller I'm going to replace the whole set with a spare. But the bike is so noisy anyway I don't notice when riding.

Top Bottom