Close Enough ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Close enough to report, yes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
1.) I don't like your gloves
2.) Please trim the excess on your cable tie
3.) Yes, very close.

I suspect if you did report it and anyone even bothered to look at the video they might suggest that at the place you were passed you might have pulled over to the left towards the rough ground to let the driver pass. Personally, depending on my mood and how I judge the driver I would have done that or taken primary. You are probably dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
OK.

The gloves are vile - I hate them too,
The cable ties need to go.
Yes, I could have pulled over onto the shingle and tried not to fall off.

I "spoke" to the driver after and vented my annoyance. She said she was a cyclist, she apologized but did not see what she did wrong.

I think my gentle words will hopefully stick and there wont be a next time.

I will keep the video on file and if it happens again I will report it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You need to show her the video, then she may see your point of view....

boydj

Legendary Member
I cycle roads like that fairly often. I would have made it possible for the 4x4 to pass at the first opportunity, which was probably about where you were passed anyway. All it would have taken was to slow slightly and pull over into the gravelly area for a second or two, which would have cost you very little - or were you going for a Strava segment? Some eye contact and maybe a signal, while holding primary, to let them know that you knew they were there and that you would pull over as soon as possible might have saved the unpleasantness.

Sharing the roads is a two-way thing and if you drove on single-track roads you would understand that you don't hold up faster vehicles unnecessarily - in a car or on a bike. And the pass was too close.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All it would have taken was to slow slightly and pull over into the gravelly area for a second or two, which would have cost you very little - or were you going for a Strava segment?
I may have pulled over on my Dutch bike but I don't think I'd've risked it on my road bike because it looked deep.

Sharing the roads is a two-way thing and if you drove on single-track roads you would understand that you don't hold up faster vehicles unnecessarily - in a car or on a bike. And the pass was too close.
It wasn't unnecessarily and speed doesn't give people priority, as you'd know if you drove on single track roads.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Successfully or not? Ooops splat crunch... :evil:

Far too close, seemed to have waited for a single-4x4-width bit, plus didn't exactly pull away quickly so what was the flaming hurry to squeeze past then instead of wait? Pointless as well as reckless. :sad:

There seems to be a mindset, almost a cultural assumption, amongst some motorists in this country that bikes are just something to get past at the earliest opportunity, rather than when safe. Many a time, I am approaching the rear of a line of cars waiting at a junction, and despite being in Primary, a car will often still come up behind and nip out, past and in front of me with only a few feet to spare, just to get to wait one place in front of me at the back of the queue. Quite often, I am able to filter past them anyway, and give the driver a "you muppet" look as I do so.

The driver in the video, perhaps knowing the road ahead and anticipating being behind a slower moving road user for some distance, seems to take the opportunity of a short stretch of wider space, to pass the bike, and has to cut in quickly due to the road quickly narrowing again. It does look far too close.

I will try to let faster vehicles pass on narrow roads, but only when I am happy it is safe to do so. I might have done there, but without actually being there and able to judge the gravel surface "in the flesh" so to speak, and being able to decide if my bike was suitable to cope with it, I couldn't say for certain if I would have done.

si_c

Guru
That's not just too close, it's a dangerous pass - report it. You've said that she didn't understand what she had done wrong, so I wouldn't hold out any hope that she's learnt anything from the encounter.

Top Bottom