Close Overtake - registration help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
Hi all. On my morning ride I suffered a crazy close overtake from a white Ford transit. The van skimmed me and I'd like to get the police to look into it. As it was still quite dark, I shouted out the registration, so my camera would pick it up. However when I look it up (BK08DVN) I get a Nissan Quashquai.

Is there anyone on here with some video skills? Could they have a look at the stills and see if they can see the registration? I have a drift ghost x helmet cam and fly6 tail cam. I can share a link to the original video clips.

thanks in advance

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Ah don't worry, it was BK08OVN. I did a bit of swap the letters round in the registration....

I am sorry I can't help you with this But can commiserate as its happened to me quite a few times I've nothing so sophisticated as a helmet cam,or video skills But White Transits for as long as they have been introduced to the never ending hodes of vehicles on the roads today have never been any different!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Not to put you off reporting the close pass, but if the registration number isn't clear, the police might not take action.
If the incident happened in Cheshire, you are likely to get some feedback about the video from the reviewing officer, (PC Rich Hall IIRC).

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not that it will help you, unless you were cycling a long way from home, but, Northumbria Police have a website for reporting such incidents, complete with facilities to upload video footage.

Perhaps, your local Police Force have similar?

Also, I believe NextBase (Dashcoms) have a website which will direct you to your local Police Force upload facility.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Not to put you off reporting the close pass, but if the registration number isn't clear, the police might not take action.
If the incident happened in Cheshire, you are likely to get some feedback about the video from the reviewing officer, (PC Rich Hall IIRC).

Hi Bazzer
The close pass was in Manchester Road, Cheadle, near the pelican crossing at the Alexandra. So I've just submitted a report to GMP. I'm hoping the fact I shouted the registration (or near enough the registration) is sufficient. Lets see.

I've sent a couple of close overtakes in Cheshire and had feedback from PC Hall. He seems like a good guy.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Not that it will help you, unless you were cycling a long way from home, but, Northumbria Police have a website for reporting such incidents, complete with facilities to upload video footage.

Perhaps, your local Police Force have similar?

Also, I believe NextBase (Dashcoms) have a website which will direct you to your local Police Force upload facility.

Yeah I'd have to be a very long way from home - some ride eh :smile:

Greater Manchester Police have an online form and you submit footage to their dropbox account.
It's a little clunky, but much easier than the Cheshire Police one.

Any clunkiness is a step in the right direction though. We didn't really have anything till a couple of years ago.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not only do Northumbria have a page for uploading but they've actively been asking people to do so. I'm almost tempted to get a camera...
Yes, I have submitted one in the past. They did acknowledge and say they had cautioned driver. I am not zealous about it (that is not a reflection on anyone who is, more a reflection of my idleness), but, had a bad day on Thursday last, two very close passes on one day! Submitted both, not heard anything yet. ;)

Tom B

Guru
Not to put a damper on it but if the VRM isn't clear in the footage and you shouted out the wrong one. Only finding a match by trial and error I can guarantee you it's going nowhere.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I use an on-bike camera that captures the regos well enough. However, I have refrained from reporting as I am usually quite sweary after a close shave and I'm not sure what the police take is on that.

Top Bottom