Close pass reported - driver to be given words of advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After many years of being able to do little about dodgy driving around me, I got a small camera last year which is on my handlebars. With the evidence this provides, I have been able to complain effectively about four close passes in a year. Not many, but hopefully four drivers who will take more care in future.

The way it goes is that I report it online, the police review the footage then if they agree, go & speak with the driver to give advice about passing safely. What I hear back is that the drivers are shocked at how close they got to me and vow to drive more carefully in future.

I reported this nasty close pass online, but got nowhere. A traffic officer reviewed it and seemed to think it was "not enough for a prosecution". Really, all I wanted was for the driver to be shown the footage. Avon & Somerset Police will be rolling out the "close pass" initiative pioneered by West Midlands police.

So I tweeted it to the local police team one of whom (also a cyclist) reviewed it, and he is now arranging for words of advice to be given & the footage to be shown.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Good result. Driver may not GAF, but hopefully a word from an official source may make them think more in future.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
SJCAM M10 - rubbish sound inside the waterproof case but footage is clear enough, although uploading to Youtube does lose a bit of quality.

It's not too obvious slung under the bars on an out-front mount.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The more I watch it, the more I think I have become tolerant of this bad amount of space being left. I think I need to reset my acceptance levels of crap driving as I seem to be too accommodating of late.

And why is it that the worse offences happen when the camera is not on, or not being used. I must get into the habit of using it 100%,

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Translation

Drivers are shocked at being called upon by the police for driving the way they always do.

Will vow to hate all cyclists just that little bit more.

They change nothing about their driving habits.

Words of warning just dont cut it. the police need to be given clear boundary's for prosecution in these instances and then actually enforce them with the evidence provided.

Sorry to be a downer but I think all of this is a total waste of everyone's time.

Rooster1

Translation

Drivers are shocked at being called upon by the police for driving the way they always do.

Will vow to hate all cyclists just that little bit more.

They change nothing about their driving habits.

Words of warning just dont cut it. the police need to be given clear boundary's for prosecution in these instances and then actually enforce them with the evidence provided.

Sorry to be a downer but I think all of this is a total waste of everyone's time.

How about this close "pass" that I reported last year. Actually the pass is fine as he needed a nice line to cut in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPEn353R34

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
How about this close "pass" that I reported last year. Actually the pass is fine as he needed a nice line to cut in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPEn353R34

Its all irrelevant, sorry.

There is no legal definition for "close" and so it's all totally subjective.that means the copper can only go and wag their finger at the driver or push for a much more serious offense, which is more unlikley.

All a waste of tome without sufficient laws.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a road with several lanes. Each lane is only intended to handle the width of a single vehicle at a time. That being the case, why were you so far to the left? Give plums like that an opportunity and they'll inevitably try to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.

Rooster1

What is the best way of getting videos to the Police ?
call them, they then give you an email address, usually an individual constables email address if you are lucky.
Upload it via WeTransfer or Dropbox, or a YT link (make the vid unlisted)

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A few drivers I have spoken to myself have apologised and given me more space on subsequent occasions, so I really don't view it as a waste of time when the police do it for me. They may hate cyclists but give them a wider berth in future. I don't accept it has to be futile, before trying. It is very unusual for me to have a close pass at this point on that road which is why I wasn't taking primary on this occasion.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A few drivers I have spoken to myself have apologised and given me more space on subsequent occasions, so I really don't view it as a waste of time when the police do it for me. They may hate cyclists but give them a wider berth in future. I don't accept it has to be futile, before trying. It is very unusual for me to have a close pass at this point on that road which is why I wasn't taking primary on this occasion.
That's fair enough and like i say, I don't mean to sound like a downer.

A small part of me does agree that the more drivers are made aware that this type of stuff is not acceptable the better in the very...very...long run.

But laws could have a much quicker effect.

Top Bottom