Close pass variants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

The Dyspraxic: driver with spatial awareness problems resulting in inability to judge the width and/or length of their vehicle. This often results in the classic close pass. Various harmless and sometimes amusing variants may be observed including the driver who leaves so much space when passing that pedestrians on the opposite side of the road dive for cover, and the driver who starts to pull out only after well passed the cyclist.

I'm with Sabian92 in finding this one poorly judged and slightly thoughtless.

As far as I'm aware, Dyspraxia has nothing to do with spatial awareness.

My middle child is dyspraxic. He rides a bike and does so rather well.

The issue is not with spatial awareness. It is with coordination and may involve the development of some fine-motor skills.

Very wide or very close passes may be made by dyspraxic motorists, but not as a result of that condition.

You manage to combine likely offence, inaccuracy in your description of a condition and a bizarrely misplaced attempt at making fun of people showing what you take to be indicators for Dyspraxia.

Are you Alan Partridge?

subaqua

What’s the point
As much as I agree with the rest of them, this one is quite rude. I'm dyspraxic and I found this quite offensive.

And yes, I can drive a car. I know the width of my car. Being dyspraxic doesn't mean i'm a total retard.

i refer the honourable gentleman to stephen fry.

OP
OP
alp1950

alp1950

The issue is not with spatial awareness. It is with coordination and may involve the development of some fine-motor skills.

Very wide or very close passes may be made by dyspraxic motorists, but not as a result of that condition.

You manage to combine likely offence, inaccuracy in your description of a condition and a bizarrely misplaced attempt at making fun of people showing what you take to be indicators for Dyspraxia.

Are you Alan Partridge?

Taken from Dyspraxia Foundation Website http://www.dyspraxia...ad_symptoms.php

People who have dyspraxia often find the routine tasks of daily life such as driving, household chores, cooking and grooming difficult. They can also find coping at work is hard. People with dyspraxia usually have a combination of problems, including:

• Lack of awareness of body position in space and spatial relationships. Can result in bumping into and tripping over things and people, dropping and spilling things
  • Little sense of time, speed, distance or weight. Leading to difficulties driving, cooking

cycleruk

Some of the commoner types of close pass:

The Eejit in a hurry: driver who calculates he can just squeeze past in face of vehicle coming in the opposite direction (behaviour often manifest by succeeding vehicles when several cars pass a cyclist in close succession).

this is what shortend my last bike tour! :sad: :cursing:

sabian92

Über Member

Are you Alan Partridge?

It does but only if they are your specific symptoms. I personally am quite spatially-unaware, but I know others who aren't. The coordination thing is also linked into spatial awareness and consequently if you're a bit wobbly you tend to have bad coordination as well. I do with a lot of things (like walking, and putting keys in doors) but I can ride a bike, play the drums, drive a car and play guitar so it does depend on the action. Last night I proposed to my girlfriend and as I got up I didn't realise how close she was and butted her in the nose. Not a good way to end asking her to marry me!

You are right though - you can't box us all in one. It's like cancer or meningitis - there are different forms of it and different effects.

Taken from Dyspraxia Foundation Website http://www.dyspraxia...ad_symptoms.php

People who have dyspraxia often find the routine tasks of daily life such as driving, household chores, cooking and grooming difficult. They can also find coping at work is hard. People with dyspraxia usually have a combination of problems, including:

• Lack of awareness of body position in space and spatial relationships. Can result in bumping into and tripping over things and people, dropping and spilling things
  • Little sense of time, speed, distance or weight. Leading to difficulties driving, cooking

Exactly. I find most of those things (apart from I drive reasonably well and I don't struggle dressing myself, but i did when I was a kid) which is what bothered me.

I'm not a PC person but it was a bit insensitive.

Strick

The After Thought; A close pass within a foot or so, swiftly followed by them drifting out over the centre lines once they are about 2 bike lengths in front of you.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The After Thought; A close pass within a foot or so, swiftly followed by them drifting out over the centre lines once they are about 2 bike lengths in front of you.

You beat me to it- I get this all the time. Also had a bizzare creeper on my way home last night. Sat at my ar$e for ages with a straight, clear road ahead- most odd. They can't have been admiring the view!

Top Bottom