Close ratio blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know whether these are still being manufactured?
I am looking for something similar to the last 7 speed 12 tooth upwards unit I have
It all looks to be Sunrace 13 tooth to a fairly high number on the bay.

This last block I have had for a few years in storage only just took a new chain and I wonder whether I might have to switch to cassette hubs and cold setting.

I may be a dinosaur but I know what I like and I am not about to start paying silly money for NOS freewheels that may only last 6 months or so.

Note to self be more fastidious about drive train maintenance.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

I had a quick look on Spa and SJS both have 7 speed but start at 13 teeth.

Started me thinking, were there ever many cassettes with a small cog than 13? I can imagine a need for TTs but in general 13 seems the norm?

There may be some on eBay, most people seem to be looking for wide “Eroica friendly” ratios so there may be some bargains at the close ratio end of the scale.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not many 'freewheels' went below 13 - cassette sprockets did go to 12 in the 90's.

Cheap freewheels now don't come in close ration as they are made for cheap bikes - your only option is looking for 'new old stock'. Ebay isn't a bad place to start - I've found Dura Ace Cassette sprockets individually from ebay, via the States.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
I think I will need to start mashing my way through new (most likely Sunrace) 13 upwards 6 speed numbers in the medium term.
A 7 speed 13 tooth sprocket would never get past the dropout on a 126mm rear hub/axle
Thanx for every ones input, When the cassette time finally comes hopefully a 130mm OLN will be possible.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Not many 'freewheels' went below 13 - cassette sprockets did go to 12 in the 90's.

Cheap freewheels now don't come in close ration as they are made for cheap bikes - your only option is looking for 'new old stock'. Ebay isn't a bad place to start - I've found Dura Ace Cassette sprockets individually from ebay, via the States.

Not so many around these days, I keep an eye out for them

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Best use em then, or fossilise them.
I have some myself (not so close) stripped of BSO's that have come my way to cycle into the ground, just not quite what I want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom