Clothing advice for touring in Asia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goosander

Über Member
I'm heading off four four weeks of cyling in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in early December, but as I've never been to that part of the world before I'd appreciate some advice on what type of clothing would be best.

Although its the cool season in December, I'm expecting it to be much warmer than the Scottish summers I'm used to, with the added problems of mosquito's. Should I go for shorts and short sleeves with plenty sun block & anti-mosquito lotion, or would it be better to go for long sleeves and perhaps 3/4 length shorts for better protection.

domtyler

Über Member
It will probably be around low to mid twenties for most of the day. I would wear shorts and short sleeves with plenty of insect repelling sun lotion. At dusk I would cover up completely to protect from the dreaded mozzies! :smile:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It'll be hot, you''ll not want to wear any long sleeves or trousers, and you'll sweat buskets so not sure how effective repellent will be....

The mozzies shouldn't bother you while you're moving, but have something light to cover up with when you stop...

just jim

Waaaaaait. Shoulda checked the urban dictionary!!!!!!
It's not the "bum crackhead" definition I hope.

OP
OP
G

goosander

Über Member
OK, so shorts & short sleeves it is with longer stuff for the evenings - thanks. Any thoughts on whether it is better to wear normal synthetic fabric cyling kit, or would it be more comfortable with cotton T shirts?

Dom - low to mid twenties sounds not too bad, I was expecting mid to high twenties which is hotter than I like.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Temp in Bangkok now - 1940 Hrs - is 31 C! Rainy season is almost over. We only have three seasons in Thailand - hot, hotter & wet.
I am in Bangkok and only wear shorts & T-shirts, if you go into the hilly areas when I would advise a light sweater for evenings and possibly a thin pair of slacks.Sun cream - yes. Mosquito repellent - never used any.
Drink plenty of fluids, there are plenty of roadside foodstalls around. I have found the best time for cycling is between first light and 11am and again from about 4pm til 6pm. Daylight is fairly constant here - light at about 6am, dark about 6pm - year round. Night time cycling is not advisable!
Any queries, don't hesitate to contact me.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
in Singapore, where the weather ranges from hot to hot and wet, I tend to ride in a 'wife-beater' vest and a pair of shorts.....

Anything else would be too much, I can't imagine it's much different 'up north'!!!

friedel

goosander said:
I'm heading off four four weeks of cyling in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in early December, but as I've never been to that part of the world before I'd appreciate some advice on what type of clothing would be best.

If you're planning on hitting the mountainous areas of Vietnam and Thailand, it could be a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings. A pair of trousers and long shirt are good to have in any case for walking around without getting eaten alive by mosquitos, although mostly across the region we didn't find them too bad.

During the day at the moment we sweat like crazy. Sunscreen never seems to stay properly applied so we prefer to cycle in 3/4 length trousers and a very light cotton shirt, also with long sleeves. Otherwise we get burnt to a crisp easily. On cloudy days we pull out the shorts.

Madcyclist

Enjoying reading the information on your website Friedel, I'm considering a 6 month tour of South Asia if and when i finally manage to sell my house !!!

friedel

Madcyclist said:
Enjoying reading the information on your website Friedel, I'm considering a 6 month tour of South Asia if and when i finally manage to sell my house !!!

Good luck! I guess it's not the best time for that right now....

By the way, you can find some really cheap clothes here. Andrew just got some new shirts, long football jerseys. The sleeves are full length but the jerseys are quite light. Only $2 each! They are perfect for sunny days. I got some stuff in Phnom Penh, also about $2-3 for light cotton shirts and trousers that are good for cycling. I would buy maybe one set of clothes to bring with you and do the rest when you get here.

Top Bottom