clothing for commuting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giant-Churchy

Morning

Recently the weather is turning cold upon which I've had cold and wet commut home. Would anyone be able to recommend a commuter jacket and trouser that I can put on over my clothes to keep me warm and dry. Thanks kindly.

vickster

Legendary Member
This just got full marks in cycling active, shower rather than waterproof

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothing/cycle/dyfi-turkish-sea.html

Layers for keeping warm

Dry you may not be with waterproof trousers as they are mostly boil in the bag

RedRider

Pulling through
As Vickster says waterproof can be boil in the bag if you're putting in effort or going more than a two or three miles. Having said that, I bought a pair of overtrousers from Decathlon recently as I do a few short hops by bicycle throughout my working day and need a quick and easy change at destinations. I've been wearing them this week and they've done the job so far.

Ganymede

Veteran
Like these? http://road.cc/content/review/56364-rainlegs-wind-and-waterproof-leg-covers

That's a good review... wondering if I should get some now. I have a short commute in normal-ish clothes and have a long ladies' cycle coat which keeps the rain off the tops of my legs unless it's really foul weather, but tbh if it's lashing down I won't cycle in. I don't mind coming home in the rain (like vickster above) as it's fun to tussle with the weather but you can change properly when you get home.

@Giant-Churchy, do you commute in normal clothes or lycra?

Ganymede

Veteran
This is the men's version of the brand I have:

http://www.wateroffaducksback.co.uk/mens-cycle-coat-28-p.asp

I found mine mostly good - poor quality lining in a horrid colour, though that doesn't seem to apply to the men's version (typical) - and I once rode it in a massive stair-rodding downpour which penetrated a little bit. I really like how you can turn down the cuffs/belt/collar and get reflective stripes. There are other companies that do this sort of clothing too.

OP
OP
Giant-Churchy

Giant-Churchy

Hello all thanks alot, I'll go shopping over the weekend and keep you updated. Thanks for your info.

You might find some over trousers left in aldi after their recent event. I have altura and endura equivalents at 5x the price but still prefer the aldi ones because they're lighter to wear over "normal" clothes.

tiermat

Altura Humvee longs are my choice for legwear, fit nicely over jeans and/or trousers and are showerproof. As they are woven fabric they don't get too hot.

For the top half I would wear a Altura Nightvision jacket if >0degreesC and a Howies fleece lined jacket if below.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In my experience you can keep warm but you cannot keep dry.

I have a 12 mile commute and I ride at about 10mph on my street bike. At this time of the year I wear bibtights a long sleve cycling jersey and an Endura waterproof jacket. I have ridden when it has been cold and pouring down and most of the rain keeps off you. The problem is that you sweat and even with all the jacket vent's open, you get wet from Inside the jacket. It is the same with my Altura night vision jacket. The good news is that as long as you are pedalling, you keep warm, if slightly damp.

Later in the year my first top layer is a thin, long sleeve marino wool top and that keeps me a bit Dryer.

I agree about waterproof leggings being boil in the bag and so I chopped mine at about shin level. I wear neoprene shoe covers and my feet keep mostly dry and warm. I used to use rainlegs but if it is belting down your behind gets wet. I dont mind my shins getting wet.

I am almost always damp, but very warm when I am cycling.

Top Bottom