Clothing for underneath the shorts - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been suffering with sweat rashes over the last couple of months. I deduced they're happening as I no longer wear undies beneath my cycle shorts. I've put the cotton undies back on and the problem has stayed disappeared. Unfortunately normal undies have seams in just the wrong places. Can anyone recommend any particular brands of cycling boxers / places to buy them from. Those sweat rashes are painful and I'd rather avoid them!

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Might be worth trying antibacterial hand stuff from Boots. It kills off 99.9% of bacteria and then apply some vaseline to stop the water resting on your skin.It can sting a bit if you are sore though.
I never where underwear under cycling shorts. I've tried zinc and castor oil, Assos cream at £10 a tub but came back to alcohol and vaseline.
In the old days when cycling shorts were made of wool they used to chaffe when wet and it was recommended to wear silk bloomers. I've not tried that method myself. Honest.
Cotton based stuff holds the moisture so I would keep away from that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another option is baggy cycling shorts which would allow a bit more air to circulate. (I've switched to them recently because I have a pair which fit me and I've got too fat for my lycra kit - I refuse to buy a complete new set of stuff because that would be like accepting my inflated size!)

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Thanks for the suggestions - at the moment it's a case of pain if I do and pain if I don't. At the moment the pain if I do is significantly less than the don't (i.e. I can still ride the bike).

Might have to give the silk bloomers a go and/or switch to baggy padded shorts.

Shanks

I've never been able to follow the recommendations for going commando under my cycle shorts. Even with cream it seems the sweat rash is worse without something on.
I found these recently http://www.microfibreboxers.com/ and they have proved excellent. No seams in the wrong place and designed to wick the sweat away. If you can ignore some of the more garish colours they might well be worth a try. Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 2wd

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I found these recently http://www.microfibreboxers.com/ and they have proved excellent. No seams in the wrong place and designed to wick the sweat away. If you can ignore some of the more garish colours they might well be worth a try. Cheers
What they look like doesn't really matter since they would be hidden away under something else!

They look pretty comfortable and are very inexpensive. I might buy a pair of them for use when out walking. The sizing seems a bit odd though, only two sizes - 26-34" and 36-48"!

U

User6179

Nike pro dri-fit compression shorts £15-£20 , no seams in awkward places and made from polyester so very breathable.

Shanks

Hi. Don't worry about the sizing, chose the one for you. They are unbelievably stretchy so don't need a wide range of fittings. They stretch to fit but don't feel to tight. As you say for that money it's worth a try. I came across them at the South of England show this year. And with some doubts bought a pair to try them. Since riding in the first pair I've now bought a few more online. Cheers

festival

Über Member
I can't get my head round people wearing anything under padded cycle shorts. I assume you are referring to padded shorts?
Do they fit properly? If they are even a little to big they will cause problems, I have seen many go for the bigger size because they have no experience of how a good cycle short should fit.
Use plenty of chamois cream, clean shorts every day and make sure they are washed properly, I knew someone who changed washing powder and it didn't agree with them.
Is your saddle level ? if not it could help to adjust it

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
These look worth a try - especially at that price. As Colin J said, I'm not bothered about the colour - they'll be under my cycling shorts and mine aren't the thin type that you can see through when stretched out.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I can't get my head round people wearing anything under padded cycle shorts. I assume you are referring to padded shorts?
Do they fit properly? If they are even a little to big they will cause problems, I have seen many go for the bigger size because they have no experience of how a good cycle short should fit.
Use plenty of chamois cream, clean shorts every day and make sure they are washed properly, I knew someone who changed washing powder and it didn't agree with them.
Is your saddle level ? if not it could help to adjust it
My shorts fit properly and my saddle is adjusted properly for me. Haven't had a problem for 20 months or so, then this spring/summer just started having problems. The answer appears to be a material to wick away sweat as I'm now healed nicely. I tried creams in the 1st place but they had no effect.

festival

Über Member
Normally, everything about what you are doing goes against avoiding the problem, BUT if it works for you, good luck and happy cycling.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I've never been able to follow the recommendations for going commando under my cycle shorts. Even with cream it seems the sweat rash is worse without something on.

Just bought a couple of pairs of the Sport "one size fits all"

http://www.microfibreboxers.com/guys/Sport/prod_15.html

These things are the dogs Bs

Just paraded some in front of the Mrs and she was well impressed (well sort of,good job one size fits all :blush: )

Comfiest grundies I've ever worn and I'll be buying a few more next week :smile:

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Top Bottom