Clothing for Warmth & Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
....but at nearly 50 am a bit worried about being lycra clad....

I'll be 50 in April and do I worry about how I look in lycra ? Nah :becool: Just don't ride past reflective shop windows, or check the mirror before you ride out.

Those of you that have to look at us may have other opinions of course.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Try sports direct, cheap especially at the moment big sale on in store

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=muddy fox

Just bought a new hybrid and will be doing some road, towpath, cyclepath type leisure riding mainly at weekends.

Currently just wearing normal clothes and trainers, but think I need some more specific clothing to cope with the cold, sweat, saddle and also to be more visible - but on a budget.

I want to be able to ride comfortably, but at nearly 50 am a bit worried about being lycra clad and feeling uncomfortable about myself in public, so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You've basiscally described my type of riding, I cant recommend anything much more than has already been mentioned (esp Aldi/Lidl) clothing but I can add

Sport Direct - Can be suprising, the pants I got weren't up to much as the zips broke (still otherwise functional) but both tops have done me well
Blacks/Millets - Currently having a mega sale due to administration, I get walking shoes here to use on the bike.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just wear normal clothes in thin layers and take a rucksack or panniers so that you can peel em off as you warm up. Wear a hi-viz waistcoat.
Remember to take hat and gloves. Only worry about cycling specific clothes after you've done a few rides. Start with a wicking shirt/vest
The most important thing is your fitting the bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Always find Aldi very good though I personally wouldn't buy shoes or shorts there. I have very broad feet so need a good fitting on shoes, on the shorts I have always believed this to be the most essential item of clothing. I wear Assos bib shorts which are ridiculously expensive and wouldn't be recommended to a new rider because of the huge cost, you've got know you want to do this before spending that sort of money. I've also found a truely waterproof jacket to be a great investment. Golfing trousers work well for the legs.

Huge range of choice on gloves but the spare ones I always shove in my pocket in case it gets colder than expected are "magic" gloves. Made from "stretchy" wool one size fits all, usually about £1 on street markets, pound shops etc. We have 6-7 pairs in the house, really useful for lots of situations.

AhThisFeckinThing

I'd get an Altura Night Vision Jacket - high viz, warm, wind proof and breathable. Amazon selling them for £80ish (in fact I have got one).
Regarding the Altura is it the Evo or night vision windproof edition you have. I ask because even with 6 layers the last two nights my chest was frozen with the cold winds, commuting at 0100 hours. Would you recommend it for keeping warm in very cold conditons or would you look at something else, thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
warm weather is on its way :becool:

Liar ! :tongue:

SteveBM

Thanks for the advice in this thread. I'm a complete noob with my first road bilke taunting me in the garage 'cos it too damn cold to go out!:cry:

I have some light "lyrca" tights and shorts which will be perfect for the Spring / Summer but too cold to wear them at the moment.
I think I need some windproof / waterproof / warm bib tights until the weather warms up a bit. I've been having a quick look at some of the web sites recommended earlier, and have come up with a couple of options.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superroubaix-windproof-unpadded-bib-tight/
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXGURUBIBT/planet_x_guru_team_winter_bib_tights
Any comments on these?

Any others I should be looking at? I don't want to spend a fortune at the moment, but I do want to be warm and comfortable. The Aldi/Lidl advice seems like a good idea, but no offers on currently that I can see.

Any advice on keeping my legs warm would be appreciated. I'd love to get out on the cold crisp mornings to come....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those two would be fine - got decathlon windproof tights that I'm using at present - really hate cold legs. They will be good for -10c to 10c, but you'll want something lighter weight as the temperatures get higher.

Top Bottom