Clothing for Warmth & Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GTKD

Regular
Just bought a new hybrid and will be doing some road, towpath, cyclepath type leisure riding mainly at weekends.

Currently just wearing normal clothes and trainers, but think I need some more specific clothing to cope with the cold, sweat, saddle and also to be more visible - but on a budget.

I want to be able to ride comfortably, but at nearly 50 am a bit worried about being lycra clad and feeling uncomfortable about myself in public, so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fran143

Über Member
Hello GTKD, Good for you for getting on your bike.....some good sites to use are Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles and try to pick up some stuff from Lidls/Aldis when they have offers on(Buffs in Aldis at the moment). I got a cracking Ultura Hi-Vis jacket from Wiggle but you could always pop into Poundland and pick up some of the wee hi-vis vests to get you started.:thumbsup:

Ethan

Lidl and aldi do pretty impressive cycle clothing at very fair prices. Well worth a look next time they do a cycling event!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I agree with Ethan re: Aldi & Lidl. You'll pick up some decent cheap and cheerful clothing for next to nothing. If you're worried about lyrca, you can get padded MTB shorts, which resemble regular shorts but contain padding.

But you shouldn't worry about lyrca, at any age!

OP
OP
G

GTKD

Regular
Are there any things I need to consider for shirts etc that are breathable?

Also, in this weather, not keen on the idea of shorts - what sort of long trousers are suitable for my type of riding?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If you go down the Aldi route, make sure you get there early and be prepared to trade punches....
Decent gloves and nice thermal layers. Mountain warehouse do some decent kit including hi-viz waterproof for a good price.

rollinstok

As well as the sites/shops already mentioned check out Merlin Cycles and Ribble Cycles, both have websites and most importantly offer good discounts.. At moment sealskinz socks are just £15 at Merlin which is a real bargain to keep your tootsies warm and dry.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Are there any things I need to consider for shirts etc that are breathable?

Also, in this weather, not keen on the idea of shorts - what sort of long trousers are suitable for my type of riding?

Thanks for the replies so far.

I used to be pretty shy about wearing tights so I'd wear very loose fitting walking trousers over them. I only bother now if wandering around in tights might be deemed inappropriate. Padded undershorts could also be your salvation if you're not happy about lycraing it. Wiggle had some pretty cheap DHB ones on offer but I think they may had sold out by now - shame, because they're cheap and comfy.

As I get older, I find I get less and less sweaty. (And as it gets colder....) I can wear layer upon layer in this weather without sweaty smells becoming a problem for me or others (believe me, I know people who would not hesitate to tell me I stink). This means that, even when wearing a waterproof outer in heavy rain I don't suffer from the ''boil in the bag'' problem. So it's more important for me to keep the wind out. Multiple layers that keep the worst of the wind out seem more important to me.

I've used Aldi and LiDL a lot for cheap and cheerful cycling gear but they only do cycling deals 2 or 3 times a year. The next offer is unlikely to appear before Spring at LiDL. Keep an eye out on the forum, someone is bound to post an upcoming cycling special on here.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Endura ba ba long sleeve lovely and warm, as an under layer, lycra longs with some sort of weather proof trousers.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If you get some trouser clips, then any kind of fitness/walking trousers will work over padded undershorts, though probably not for longer distances.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If there is one near by try Decathlon. They are good value for money and trying on is better than the mail order route.
If uncomfortable with the lycra roadie look try MTB clothing. It tends to be baggier and dare I say it as a lycra clad road warrior, slightly more practical.

snorri

Legendary Member
Currently just wearing normal clothes and trainers, but think I need some more specific clothing to cope with the cold, sweat, saddle and also to be more visible - but on a budget.
There might be no need to become a fashion victim, normal clothes are often all that is needed. If your saddle is uncomfortable it may be worth trying to adjust it rather than have to resort to wearing padding.

timmyeatchips

If you get some trouser clips, then any kind of fitness/walking trousers will work over padded undershorts, though probably not for longer distances.
Yeah, In the cold weather I wear lined waterproof walking trousers with clips and they're perfectly comfortable for a few miles up the hills. I find it's only my top that I need to be really breathable.

Top Bottom