Cloverfield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Went to see it last night. Being a saddo-sci-fi-geek I was really looking forward to it. I lasted about half-an-hour before I had to come out of the cinema due to nausea. xx(

Was it the flashing lights?
Was it the gratuitous gore & violence?
Was it the bad acting?

None of above. Although there was a *lot* of flashing of lights, not gore or violence, nor bad acting (last one subjective).

The 'hand-held camera' style of shooting was *so* jerky, *so* grainy and did I mention how *constantly* jerky the camera action was? Instant motion sickness! It started within minutes of the film opening and by half-an-hour I had to leave as I was on the point of throwing up. The same effect was giving my nearest & dearest a migraine.

Shame really, as other than wanting to throw-up, I was enjoying the film! :wacko:

Husband & I came out & waited for film to finish as the offspring was still in there watching. He loved it! Blair Witch meets Godzilla.

Whilst husband & I were sat in the foyer waiting for our nausea & headache to subside, we were watching the large number of folk coming out of the cinema to rush off to the loo, looking slightly green around the gills.

On the plus side, the cinema manager presented husband & I with complimentary tickets to see another film of our choice anytime. He said that quite a few folk were unable to watch the film for various reasons. Apparently the strobe lighting effects got to quite a few (there are lots of flashing lights).

So, if flashing lights get to you, you may want to miss this film. Ditto if you are prone to motion sickness. Mind you, I'm not prone to it yet suffered Last time I felt like this was several years ago, on a particularly bad Channel crossing on the Sea Cat where one engine was down and the sea was very rough. You have been warned!

col

Legendary Member
It seems the jerky camera thing is a popular way now,just like the last bourne film.I suppose it can add effect in cases,but this obviously seems to have gone too far,thanks for the warning;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'm going to see it on Tuesday... is a big bag of Peanut M&Ms and a can of coke not such a good idea then?

It's a good idea only if you first line your tum with a Vindaloo and several helpings of the local brew.

I'll be avaoiding the film because at my advanced age my accomodation (that's an eyesight term :biggrin:) isn't too good. So even if I didn't get nauseous I still wouldn't be able to focus.

Top Bottom