England : Greater Manchester Clubs Leigh area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudsy86astley

Regular
Hi I started out on the mtb but due to taking risks and breaking a few bones I've come over to road cycling I've been doing it since august now I'm looking to join a club or meet other riders in Leigh/astley area. Yep I'm not your usual rider I'm 6ft4 and 20st.
Don't really know about what a good average speed is and wether I could keep up do clubs cater for larger riders on average I do 30 odd miles normally taking me on average 2hrs average speed is like 14.5mph according to my strava any help would be appreciated ! Thanks

Club runs ... normally run at 17/18 mph average when in a group...(Lower group)
Group riding of 5/10 people takes a little bit of practice to get used to ...
If you do get left when out on a club run ... means your fitnesses needs to improve
stick with it will get easier ... don t expect to much at once .. The clubs are a friendly bunch and they will help you out !
^_^

This is my experience when I joined a club 4 years ago..

If you want to try a club intro ride ... take a look on the Manchester wheelers ride list (Intro ride)

its a slower pace (14/15mph) around tatton park area 30miles round trip ... mostly beginners looking to join a club . I would come with you for company ...

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unfortunately, you missed this months Manchester Wheelers intro ride, it was yesterday, they tend to run monthly.

Here is a link to our rides list: http://www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk/rides/list.htm
(As a side note, if you have a look at this and the related pages, if you have any feedback, please send it to me via PM as myself and the membership secretary are looking at improving some sections of the website, especially those relating to new members, potential members and clarity of ride types)

Monday and Thursday runs are not too rapid (~17 mph on a flat route most likely at my guess), so if you can do 14-15 mph on your own, in a group you should be capable of more. They leave from the Gateway hotel in Parrs Wood at 7pm. I attend occasionally and of late I would remark that the level was pretty sedate, possibly a symptom of the season, this will suit you as it means when the pace picks up in line with the seasons (and it does pick up, I can recall some nice fast runs), your ability level will get dragged along.

Additionally, the womens' rides (which men are welcome to attend) tend to be at a more sedate pace as they are less frequent and we have a large female membership with a vast mix of ability, there will be a womens ride on the 19th. You could try that, I might even be there.

In the meantime, if you were to find that our club runs are a bit hard, this is no reason to despair as we have other activities which will allow you to integrate and improve without the pace limitations, for example we have led/coached turbo training sessions on the Wattbikes in the National Cycling Centre every week (these are very popular with a large range of abilities attending and all 27 bikes being occupied most weeks), led core sessions in Stretford weekly and also regular track sessions (where pace isn't an issue, since if you are dropped the group will sweep you up when they lap you).

Additionally, there are quite a few members from the North Manchester area, some of which are probably around your level, so you could always organise a ride and chances are, people will come.

If we are a bit far for you, have a look into Leigh Premier or some other clubs more local, you should be able to find a few using the British Cycling website.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
When I was looking a few years ago I considered Leigh Premier, I didn't go with them in the end but all the contact I had with them was positive.

icky

gone pedlin
Hi I'm in Leigh and am also looking for club rides but struggle to find rides due to working weekends when most clubs ride out let me know how you get on. I usually get out Tuesday/ Wednesday on my days off.

davdandy

I have ridden with Leigh prem twice last year and they are a great set of lads,but maybe just a little too race orientated for my likeing.I was more into the leisurely side of things,i ride at around the 16/17 mph mark and i did keep up with the guys but it was hard,but that was last year,i am a lot fitter this time.Me and a few others use leigh-life ,we are very small,in fact only two of us went out today but would welcome more.two of the regulars have been busy,work,its a real pain isnt it.

http://www.leighlife.com/index.php?action=forum

Top Bottom