Clunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
OK, I'm starting to go mad with this one - any advice appreciated!

About 4-6 weeks ago I started getting a metallic clunk that felt like it was through the left pedal, whenever I applied power at about the 2-3 o'clock position. It doesn't happen as often when I'm cruising, but it does very occassionally. It's not a squeak or rattle, but a definite clunk - which I can "make" go away by pedalling backwards for a revolution or two, weirdly. But it will always return the next time I hit a hill/accelerate.

So far, in an attempt to eliminate what it might be, I've replaced my pedals & BB, and completely stripped the whole crank set & cleaned it all up. I've re-greased it all as I put it all back together again, but it still persists.

Any other things I should check out? Is it possible over-tightening bolts (given that I started off thinking it was something coming loose, so I've definitely been keen to make sure everything is tight).

I'm going insane!!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
sounds like the pawls in your wear wheel/hub.
I had a pair of Easton wheels that clunked. Stripped the hub to see what was the reason for the clunk, found nothing untoward. So put it down to one of those things.
In the end I sold the wheels.

OP
OP
MichaelO

MichaelO

Veteran
D'oh. That may actually explain a hell of a lot.

After the torment of suffering numerous rear wheel spoke failures, I switched back to my old rear wheel for a few longer rides in recent weeks (to avoid a mid-ride failure). The old set have a decent amount of mileage on them - but as I could "feel" the clunk through the left pedal, I presumed it was a pedal/crank problem!!

Top Bottom