Clunking noise from bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muguruki

My ageing Raleigh commuting bike has developed a clunking noise coming from around my bottom bracket usually more noticeable when I'm climbing a hill and on the right hand side. I was told I needed to undo the retaining ring thingy by tapping it with a screw driver then giving the inner ring with small holes around it (yeah I know a photo would have helped) a few taps to tighten it before tightening the retaining ring again. I tried this a couple of times and last time in doing so I even chipped bits from the end of my screwy so I reckon it's pretty tight, but I still I hear/feel this knocking as if there is a bit of play down there somewhere. Cranks are well tight no play there.

Help please, before I do more with my hammer than tap the end of my screwy????

Have a look at Sheldon: it could be a number of things.

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bottom

HovR

Über Member
If you grab the pedal end of the crank, and try to wobble it width wise in relation to the bike (if that makes sense), is there play in this direction? If there is, you will need to take the BB apart (Remove the lock ring (outer ring) and then unscrew the inner ring (adjustable cup) completely) and inspect the bearings and cups.

Loose bearings can often cause damage, so they may need replacing. If the bearings and cups are fine, you can repack with grease and reassemble, with the correct tension on the bearings.

You adjust the tension on the bearings by moving the adjustable cup (what you described as the inner ring with the 2 holes). You want there to be just enough tension that there is no play in the bottom bracket spindle, but not so much that the spindle feels rough when turned, or can not turn freely.

When you reassemble, make sure the lock ring is on tight.

Whilst the screw driver trick works for these types of bottom brackets, it is best to use the correct tools so you don't cause damage to anything. Searching eBay for "lock ring tool" and "adjustable bottom bracket cup tool" should give you what you need.

Hope this helps!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i had a clunk every now and then and thought it was bb - i tampered for ages and couldn't find anything then for some reason while i had the back wheel off i span it in my hands - it sounded like it was grinding and not smooth at all so i changed the bearings in back wheel and now runs lovely -- just a thought

spacecadet9

danielhpavey
My old Raleigh MTB was making exactly the same kind of noise.

I ended up taking apart the bottom bracket and replacing the bearings - it was a relatively easy job and the parts where dead cheap.

The only tricky part was working out that I needed a crank removal tool to get the cranks off!

OP
OP
Muguruki

Muguruki

Straight after writing the original post I went and had another attempt at tightening the "adjustable cup" (what I wrongly called the inner ring with holes, cheers HovR) giving it a bit of a clean before tightening up again, the locking ring did seem surprisingly loose! I can't feel any play at all now and when the rain stops I'll go for a spin. Yep the correct tools would help. The crank doesn't want to be removed at all so if this doesn't work this time I may well head off down the bike shop as it will cost as much buying various tools from ebay, either that or add another half dozen hammer and screwdriver marks around the crank and BB. Cheers all.

HovR

Über Member
The crank doesn't want to be removed at all so if this doesn't work this time I may well head off down the bike shop as it will cost as much buying various tools from ebay, either that or add another half dozen hammer and screwdriver marks around the crank and BB. Cheers all.

Sorry.. I missed that bit! Given that your bike has a cup-and-cone BB, it will probably have a square taper spindle, in which case you will need a crank removal tool/crank puller to take the cranks off.

It sounds like you are not being able to get the lock ring tight enough with the screw driver method, if it keeps on coming loose. Proper tools should sort it out.

OP
OP
Muguruki

Muguruki

My fingers were firmly crossed as I did my 29 mile return trip commute today and the only thing clunking was my knee. So I think my last attempt at knocking lumps out of the cup and cone has actually worked. So glad it’s only a £50 second hand bike I'm doing this to.

Top Bottom