Clutter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have to move out of my flat at the end of the month and I've been packing stuff up. I didn't realise that I had so much stuff.

The day that I moved in here five years ago I had a large rucksack on my back, a Brompton in my hand and a tiny Peugeot out in the car park. Where has all this other crap came from?

I lived in house shares in Dublin for three years and moved house quite often, usually by bus. I had a rucksack full of clothes, a carrier bag full of books and tapes and radio/cassette player and didn't feel the need for anything else and was perfectly contented! Those were the days:rolleyes:

Wait till you have a family and have to move an entire house worth of stuff and furniture too! Then you really know how much clutter you have!

Bike stock clear out at bargain prices?:becool:

Lockdown has led us, after 23 years in the house and the eldest back from uni, to realise we need more space and have an extension being built from 1st June. So, I spent last weekend moving crap from house to garage and from garage to Safestore or the charity shop. Suddenly we've got a load of space and wonder whether we need the extension! Holy cow, we've accumulated a lot of... stuff

(We do, if Speshette, 16, grows an inch before her new room is built, she won't fit the bed!)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I seem to have accumulated a lot of assorted tools over the years.
The house has the usual hand tools like screwdrivers etc tho' these are being superseded nowadays by power tools with multiple functions.
Garden shed has spanners and an assortment of bike spares as well as more power tools.
Boat and motorhome both had sets of emergency tools and my commercial workshop had even more.
I could probably stock a reasonable ironmongers shop if only I could find whatever I am looking for.
With no boat, motorhome or workshop any more they have all gathered in my shed but cannot get round to disposing of them.
My fathers toolbox I seem to remember consisted of a claw hammer and a screwdriver.:rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
I have more bass guitars than most sensible folk have furniture.

I seem to have accumulated a lot of assorted tools over the years.
The house has the usual hand tools like screwdrivers etc tho' these are being superseded nowadays by power tools with multiple functions.
Garden shed has spanners and an assortment of bike spares as well as more power tools.
Boat and motorhome both had sets of emergency tools and my commercial workshop had even more.
I could probably stock a reasonable ironmongers shop if only I could find whatever I am looking for.
With no boat, motorhome or workshop any more they have all gathered in my shed but cannot get round to disposing of them.
My fathers toolbox I seem to remember consisted of a claw hammer and a screwdriver.:rolleyes:
I’ve inherited my wife’s grandads garage contents, it has proved to be the best gift ever! I am particularly fond of the tobacco tins which he has filled up with various screws and bolts, they have saved the day on many an occasion. They also smell of tobacco and remind me of her late grandfather everytime I open them.

I’ve inherited my wife’s grandads garage contents, it has proved to be the best gift ever! I am particularly fond of the tobacco tins which he has filled up with various screws and bolts, they have saved the day on many an occasion.
Nothing wrong with decluttering but no bolt, screw, nut, washer or whatever should ever be thrown away - even if you haven't the slightest idea what it is.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
In my younger adult days I lived in digs and rented accommodation, and like @tyred I used to move house with a couple of suitcases.
Bought my first place at age 26 and sold it 4 years later. The flitting was done, furniture, white goods and all, in 2 Transit vans. That was stressful enough for me and I promised myself never to do it again. Thirty years later and I have kept that promise :ohmy:. Dreading the thought of ever having to move from here, the bikes and associated junk alone will fill those 2 Transit vans :laugh:.

Top Bottom