ClycngieknJu | MlesVo | JyclniuosCG | CnygiclkiW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got to get it in somehow!

Slioch

Guru
Just going off on a totally random tangent here, but a friend of my wife is a long time devotee of colonic irrigation (xx(). She was trying to expound the benefits of it to me once, but I just walked away with my fingers in my ears going "La la la" very loudly. I got told off later for being rude. :laugh:

Slioch

Guru
Got to get it in somehow

On a totally non-PC note, I reckon that if they ever wanted to come up with a new reality tv programme, then they should try Celebrity Wife Beating. I reckon Channel 5 could get at least 4 series out of that concept. :whistle:

Off Topic,

We used to perform Barium Enemas and used peppermint as it relaxed the bowel and decreased spasms

One patient famously stated that the NHS was wonderful as last time she had peppermint added to her Enema it was an extra £200!

Slioch

Guru
Off Topic,

We used to perform Barium Enemas and used peppermint as it relaxed the bowel and decreased spasms

One patient famously stated that the NHS was wonderful as last time she had peppermint added to her Enema it was an extra £200!

Now if there was only a forum where you could discuss such weighty matters with similar like minded people............Oh!

classic33

Leg End Member
Just going off on a totally random tangent here, but a friend of my wife is a long time devotee of colonic irrigation (xx(). She was trying to expound the benefits of it to me once, but I just walked away with my fingers in my ears going "La la la" very loudly. I got told off later for being rude. :laugh:
It was a slight take on your irrigation idea.

Now if there was only a forum where you could discuss such weighty matters with similar like minded people............Oh!

My wife has often expressed concern over how diverse the subjects on a supposed "Cycling" forum are

TVC

Off Topic,

Are you suggesting shoving extra strong mints up your bum might help with constipation?

If not, you really should do so on Facebook, just because someone is bound to try it.

Are you suggesting shoving extra strong mints up your bum might help with constipation?

If not, you really should do so on Facebook, just because someone is bound to try it.

Maybe not mints

Abstract
AIM:
To evaluate the efficacy of peppermint oil in barium as a spasmolytic agent during a double-contrast barium enema (DCBE).

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
A total of 383 DCBEs with positive results from occult blood tests were assessed. Patients were assigned to one of four groups: peppermint in barium (n=91), peppermint in tube (n=90), Buscopan (n=105), or no treatment (n=97). After a screening sigmoidoscopy, the DCBEs were performed using air as a distending gas. In the Buscopan group, the DCBE was performed with an intramuscular injection of 20mg Buscopan at the start of the examination. Patients in the no-treatment group underwent DCBE without any spasmolytic agent. A peppermint oil preparation (30ml) was mixed in the barium solution for patients in the peppermint-in-barium group, and the same dose of peppermint oil was included in the enema tube in the peppermint-in-tube group. The presence of spasm on a series of spot films was evaluated without information about the type of spasmolytic agent used.

RESULTS:
The percentage of patients in the four groups (no treatment, Buscopan, peppermint in tube, and peppermint in barium) with absence of spasm in the entire colon on the series of spot films was 13.4, 38.1, 41.8, and 37.8%, respectively. In the group using peppermint oil or Buscopan, the rate of patients with non-spasm examination was higher than that in no-treatment group (p<0.0005). Peppermint oil had the same spasmolytic effect as the systemic administration of Buscopan in the transverse and descending colon. Peppermint oil had a stronger effect in the caecum and the ascending colon than a Buscopan injection (p<0.005). There was no advantage to placing peppermint oil in the enema tube over mixing it in the barium solution. A total of 157 polyps were found during the DCBE procedures, and no differences were observed in the number of lesions among the four groups. Peppermint oil did not impair image quality.

CONCLUSION:

Top Bottom