CMD Arete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Week commencing 15th Oct I'm in the west coast of Scotland.

Weather allowing I fancy a day trip up the CMD arete route of Nevis. No particular reason other than I've seen some pictures and read a few tales on the net. Im also looking for some other good day/one night trips in the area.

I have a week spare with just a couple days booked up visiting relatives.

Any advice or recomendations for that area.

Cheers

This is all on foot by the way.

Chris James

Über Member
The Ledge route up the Ben is supposed to be good. Ring of steall is a classic too.

Bidean na Bian via the lost valley and down Coire nan Lochan is a good route, Buachaille Etive Mor - the mian walking route or Curved Ridge scramble, Ballachullish Horseshoe and the Aonach Eagach. All around the Glencoe.

There's loads to do. Mind you, the above are all single day routes. I think multi day routes can be made around the Grey Corries. I dare say that someone will be along with suggestions.

Chris James said:
The Ledge route up the Ben is supposed to be good. Ring of steall is a classic too.

Bidean na Bian via the lost valley and down Coire nan Lochan is a good route, Buachaille Etive Mor - the mian walking route or Curved Ridge scramble, Ballachullish Horseshoe and the Aonach Eagach. All around the Glencoe.

There's loads to do. Mind you, the above are all single day routes. I think multi day routes can be made around the Grey Corries. I dare say that someone will be along with suggestions.

Some scrambling experience is useful for the Aonach Eagach or go with someone who has it but what a route! The lost valley is a lovely walk, in fact all good suggestions. Weather's good up here at the moment, warm and clear, though you can never tell if it will stay that way and the Ben and Glencoe are often shrouded when a few miles away is clear.

OP
OP
S

starseven

Thanks Chris / Crackle,

I fancied The Etive Mor route as I've been close before. I think Aonach Eagach may be too much for me though unless I have a companion. My guide book says to consider a rope on that one which is beyond my experience. Im still hoping to pursuade my brother to take the trip which could make it possible if not , on my own, it sounds a bit daunting.
Bidean na Bian via the lost valley may be a nice day three, and could be a day out for me and the older uncle Im visiting, (was that patronising) he'll probably run it!!

thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

OP
OP
S

starseven

Well I tried and failed on the CMD , went up the scree slopes to the ridge but dreadfull weather and too risky for this faint heart:ohmy::ohmy:
Went back the next day and did the tourist route , couple of inch of snow and v cold,

I would recomend this time of year , nice colours and not too busy.

DSC00781.jpg

Congrats, no shame in the tourist route, in many ways it's much more of a slog.

And yes the colours are fabulous at the moment but there's a definite chill in the air, I felt it today when I went for my ride. OK climbing, but freezing coming down.

Save that route for another time; a settled day in January

Top Bottom