CO2 Inflator Blew Tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nocode

Hi All

Just wanted a quick sanity check. I had my first puncture last night in over a year of commuting - it was a slow puncture from a tiny piece of glass that I didn't notice when I carried-out my tyre inspection post-ride. Luckily I noticed before I cycled home in the evening and could change the tube in the comfort of my works parking garage.

However, when I replaced the tube and inflated the tyre using my Bontrager CO2 inflator (one where you can control the flow of CO2 via a valve on the chuck) I managed the blow the spare inner tube. I used a 16g canister so from what I understand I should be able to put the full contents into a road inner tube and it will inflate it to 120psi. However, the blown inner tube had split along the seam.

Did I do something wrong? Am I not supposed to put the full canister into the tube?
Or did I put the air in too slowly and the leave the chuck attached to the valve too long - as those things get pretty darn cold from the CO2?

Luckily I had a 2nd tube to hand and a hand pump that I used - not wanting to take the risk of the same thing happening again... The tubes were around a year old, have been in my saddle bag wrapped in plastic bags (to stop the rubber from perishing).

Cheers, Paul

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds like a faulty tube to me.
Have never had problems with 16g canisters and yes usually use the whole canister for a road tyre.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought I heard a loud bang last night...:thumbsup:

I would doubt even that 16g would get up to 120psi, probs more like 100 max on a 23 tyre.

OP
OP
Nocode

Nocode

Either a faulty tube or you had trapped the tube under the tyre bead.

Yeah, thanks. Could be the latter - which is a problem when using CO2 as you can't really pre-inflate the tube to avoid that - but I did give the tyre a really good squeeze and pull away from the rim to try and avoid that. Hopefully though was just a faulty tube!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To avoid a pinch, go round the tyre and push in the side wall and look into the rim. Do this each side. Then pump away.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get a C02 pump that allows you to control the airflow.
That way you can inflate slowly to check the tyre rather then inflating in one big blast.

Davidc

Guru
A 16g CO2 won't IME get either a 700c32 or a 26x1.5 tyre up to marathon max pressure. I get about 90 psi and 75 psi respectively.

It may be that much thinner tyres go higher than I've measured, but I'd suspect a pinch puncture or a faulty tube.

oldroadman

Veteran
Its alright for you to say that, you had some bloke following you around in a car to fix your punctures.^_^
We all had to start out looking after ourselves, and of course with the passage of years, go back to doing it again..nowadays it's still latex tubes in tyres (go down faster but a much nicer ride and more puncture resistance) inside nice good quality 25c, or tubs on a nice day. Just to bring the memories back..:smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
I did on the second tube - but can't help playing with gadgets :smile: Also wanted to practice using CO2 as I don't tend to carry a pump during triathlons!
Do triathlons and what do you expect...bound to get punctures..if triathlons were meant to be we would all have two pairs of legs and flipper feet...!^_^

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have used my co2 pump loads of times and have always said as they are seconds quick they are not forgiving,a trap or bead out of place,the tyre creaks and goes as it reseats,all got to be correct

Top Bottom