CO2 Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

I have a CO2 cartridge pump. Problem with it is, once u press it to the valve the gas starts to exhaust and will continue to do so even if you remove the pressure. Is this the norm ? If so, can u buy a unit with some sort of trigger mech to start and stop gas release ? My reason for asking is this. Although I have not as yet needed to do so, if u do get a puncture and are replacing the tube while out on the road you cannot place a small amount of gas into the replacement tube to facilitate placement into the tyre. Am I missing a trick here ? Ta for sensible replies.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Many Co2 pumps allow you to regulate the gas flow, shop round on the net and all retailers will have some. A good investment is a combined hand/Co2 pump which will let you use the hand pump to seat the tyre and make sure the tube isn't trapped before you zap it with the gas. I carry a seperate mini pump for this, also gets you into limp home mode in an emergency.

Young Un

To get some air into the tube, if it is presta, just undo the little screw thngy, place valve inside your mouth, seal lips around valve and blow. This will put in enough to get is seated properly inside the tyre etc.

I have a CO2 cartridge pump. Problem with it is, once u press it to the valve the gas starts to exhaust and will continue to do so even if you remove the pressure. Is this the norm ? If so, can u buy a unit with some sort of trigger mech to start and stop gas release ? My reason for asking is this. Although I have not as yet needed to do so, if u do get a puncture and are replacing the tube while out on the road you cannot place a small amount of gas into the replacement tube to facilitate placement into the tyre. Am I missing a trick here ? Ta for sensible replies.

I carry a frame mini pump and a CO2 pump with 2 cannisters in my saddle bag. The minipump gets air in and could most likely get me home but my tires go to 110 PSI and I don't have the arms to get the pressure that high with a mini-pump. It's a I also carry a spare tyre. It's a bit of overkill but my wife doesn't drive so I'm responsible for getting myself home if I have a problem at 6am.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta very much Young Un. That is the answer I was looking for. I did not realise it was possible to put some air into the tube using my mouth. That makes me pretty damn dumb I know. Ta again. Don`t wanna raise anyones hackles here BUT I consider the notion of carrying a pump AND carrying a unit designed to replace the pump for roadside use a bit ridiculous.

Top Bottom